Delta Force in action

Two years after the Emile Short Commission asked the government to pay compensation, a victim of the shooting incident that occurred during a by-election at the Ayawaso West Wuogon Constituency has said that he is yet to receive compensation from the government.

Sharing his ordeal on the Super Morning Show on Joy FM Friday, May 21, Ishawu Yaro, popularly known as Alhaji Baba said he has been traumatised by that incident.

“So it has affected my life seriously. About 2 years, I’m not doing anything. I’m not going, I’m not coming. One place,” he said sadly.

On the day of the election, several masked men purportedly from the National Security Council drove in police armoured vehicles to a polling centre at La Bawaleshie and assaulted as well as shot at some supporters of Delali Brempong, the candidate of the opposition National Democratic Congress.

Six persons were critically injured and several sustained minor injuries. The NDC MP for Ningo-Prampram, Sam George, was captured in a video circulated on social media, being assaulted by one of the members of the supposed security force who are not personnel of the Ghana Police Service.

Ishawu Yaro, a retired professional footballer, said the unfortunate incident happened not long after he had returned from a trip to India to treat an injury.

In February 2020, the government established a three-member Commission to inquire into the violence that marred the by-election in the Ayawaso West Wuogon Constituency in Accra.

According to a statement issued and signed Wednesday, February 6 2019, by Director of Communications for the Presidency, Eugene Arhin, he said the Commission was set up by Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, with the consent of President Nana Akufo-Addo.

But Ishawu Yaro said, “Up-to-date, we haven’t heard anything from the government, we haven’t seen anything from government. I don’t know why the government set up the Commission. Because government set up the Commission so that at the end of the day government will take an action,”.

He said after spending about 9 months at the 37 Military Hospital and having to undergo surgery 8 times, he is still suffering the repercussions of the shooting incident.

“As I’m speaking to you now, I’m still under treatment. As I’m speaking to you, about 2 years plus, I’m not able to put my leg on the ground.”