Audio By Carbonatix
Everyone found to have contributed to the banking sector crisis will be prosecuted and monies retrieved - a Deputy Attorney General (AG) and Minister for Justice has said.
Mr Alfred Tuah Yeboah said nobody will be spared.
According to him, there are more cases that his outfit will be taking to court soon.
Mr Tuah Yeboah said the government needs the money spent on exercise and thus his Ministry will recover for the use of the government.
“The depositors get to be paid by the government. So, we are now in court to prosecute and possibly recover.
"If you paid an amount of GH¢1.2 billion from the taxpayers' money, you will need that money back, and you can get it back if you take legal action as we have done.
"I can assure you that there are other cases that we will prosecute to get the monies back”, he said in a media engagement on Tuesday, November 8."
Update on some cases so far
Mr William Ato Essien of defunct Capital bank is awaiting judgment on November 17, while Michael Nyinaku of defunct Beige Bank was arraigned on Tuesday.
Michael Nyinaku is facing 43 counts of criminal charges; stealing, fraudulent breach of trust and money laundering.
However, he has pleaded not guilty to these charges.
Banking sector clean-up exercise
In a bid to restore confidence in the banking and specialised deposit-taking sector, the Bank of Ghana embarked on a clean-up exercise in August 2017.
Spending over GH¢20 billion, the Central Bank’s action was to resolve insolvent financial institutions whose continued existence posed risks to the interest of depositors.
This was supervised by the now embattled Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta from mid-2017 to January 2020.
The clean-up saw a reduction in the number of banks from 34 to 23, whilst 347 microfinance institutions, 15 savings and loans and eight finance houses had their licences revoked.
While some of the commercial banks were merged to form the Consolidated Bank Ghana Limited, state-owned GCB was allowed to swallow others.
The Securities and Exchange Commission also announced the revocation of the licenses of 53 Fund Management Companies.
A number of these institutions were found to have varying degrees of corporate governance lapses.
The total estimated cost of the state’s fiscal intervention, excluding interest payments, from 2017 to 2019 was pegged at GH¢16.4 billion.
Latest Stories
-
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
32 minutes -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
2 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
2 hours -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
2 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
3 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
3 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
3 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
3 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
3 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
4 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
5 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
5 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
5 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
5 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
5 hours