Barcelona came from behind to beat an indisciplined Atletico Madrid side 2-1 at the Camp Nou to take a three-point lead in the Liga title race.
Barcelona came from behind to beat an indisciplined Atletico Madrid side 2-1 at the Camp Nou to take a three-point lead in La Liga title race.
Atletico Madrid took a surprise lead when Koke converted Saul Niguez’s cross from the right, and their disciplined defence had Barcelona rattled.
They could only hang on for so long against the home side’s pressure, and Lionel Messi equalised with a neat finish. Luis Suarez added a second soon after.
The match descended into intermittent aggression when Filipe Luis was sent off for leaving his studs in on Messi, finishing a feud that Luis had initiated earlier. Diego Godin got his second yellow for a ludicrous challenge on Suarez. Somehow Atletico held on without conceding another, despite being down to nine men for almost half an hour.
Barcelona extended their lead at the top to three points with a game in hand, and Real Madrid now have the chance to narrow the gap with Atletico to just a point.
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @JoyFMSports. Our hashtag is #JoySports
- Government to face difficult refinancing options in repaying maturing T-Bills – Report
- Ayew brothers dropped as Inaki Williams starts for Black Stars in Nicaragua clash
- 3rd-year Mechanical Engineering student tells story of how he begged for a plate of food
- Aisha Huang denied bail again as judge calls on judiciary to help save water bodies
- Fatawu Issahaku scores debut goal as Black Stars record narrow win over Nicaragua
- Player Ratings: Black Stars beat Nicaragua in Spain
- Luv News uncovers degradation of Tano Nimri Forest Reserve
- ‘Nicaragua won’t be as tough as Brazil’ – Otto Addo
- Pressure mounts on government to scrap SIM re-registration deadline
- Kirani Ayat calls out Akufo-Addo, Tourism Ministry after promo video featured shots from his ‘Guda’ visuals
- The future of finance: regulatory insights from 2 fintech reports
- SSNIT pension scheme continues to post negative return on investments; records -12.6% return in quarter 1 – Report
- Fetish priest sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for defrauding with fake currency
- Man gets 8 years for hacking cousin he accused of stealing fish from soup
- Reach out, show love and compassion to the needy – KABAKA Foundation chairman urges
- Over 1000 children at Tepa enjoy free NHIS registration
- Ghana needs support of Diasporan community to advance industrialisation – Alan Kyerematen
- NDC dissociates itself from Akufo-Addo’s booing; says incident reflects mood of Ghanaians
- Four envoys present credentials to President Akufo-Addo
- We are receiving threats of contract termination – School Feeding Caterers
- IMF sounds alarm on UK tax cut plans
- Malawi’s John Chilembwe gets statue in London’s Trafalgar Square
- Medical and Dental Council’s directive only applies to students who are yet to graduate – Dr. Banyubala
- We provided opportunities for medical students from Ukraine to enroll in Ghanaian universities – Dr. Banyubala
- Galamsey takes over rice farms in Upper Denkyira East