A billionaire French-Israeli diamond magnate, Beny Steinmetz, has arrived in court in Switzerland to face trial over alleged corruption linked to a major mining deal in Guinea.
He has always denied his company, BSGR, paid multi-million dollar bribes to obtain iron ore mining exploration permits in southern Guinea in 2008.
BBC News - Beny Steinmetz: Mining tycoon in Swiss trial over Guinea dealhttps://t.co/xmv8FwUwa5
— Carolyn Bongiorno (@caroaber) January 11, 2021
He travelled to Geneva from Israel for the two-week trial.
If convicted he could face up to 10 years in prison.
Steinmetz, 64, was previously sentenced in absentia to five years in prison by a court in Romania for money laundering.
Swiss prosecutors say Steinmetz paid about $10m (£7.4m) in bribes, in part through Swiss bank accounts, to gain the rights to Guinea's iron ore deposits in the Simandou mountains.
The area is believed to contain the world's largest untapped iron ore deposits.
His lawyer Marc Bonnant says "we will plead his innocence".

According to the prosecutors, the bribes to Guinean public officials were paid with the help of Mamadie Toure, the widow of Guinea's former president Lansana Conte. They also allege that Steinmetz forged documents linked to the deal.
The BBC's Imogen Foulkes in Geneva says Ms Toure has been described as the star witness for the prosecution, but her presence in court is unlikely - she now lives in the United States. She has not yet commented on this trial.
Mr Bonnant told Reuters news agency last month that Steinmetz had "never paid a cent to Mme Mamadie Toure" and said she was not married to Lansana Conte. "She is not a public agent and therefore cannot be corrupted," he said.
Despite its vast natural resources, Guinea remains one of the poorest countries in Africa, and has gained little from the Simandou iron ore riches.
Latest Stories
-
NPP calls for gov’t transparency on suspected drug and money laundering concerns
48 minutes -
Skin disease outbreak leaves Mepe-Avetakpo residents in agony
3 hours -
Kusaug youth disappointed in Mahama’s handling of Bawku conflict
3 hours -
Talensi NDC office set ablaze by ‘disgruntled foot soldiers’
4 hours -
US tariffs: ‘We won’t condone America first, Africa last’ – AfCFTA Secretary-General
4 hours -
GPL 2024/25: Basake Holy Stars aims to break duck against Berekum Chelsea
6 hours -
US tariffs: Ministers of Trade, Finance and Foreign Affairs to engage US Ambassador on April 7
6 hours -
Karpowership Ghana appoints Oscar Kojo Amonoo-Neizer as Managing Director
6 hours -
With Mahama’s confidence, Dr Naomi Kwetey vows to drive financial transformation at CBG
6 hours -
CDM mounts pressure on Mahama gov’t to probe ‘suspicious flights’ saga
6 hours -
Suspicious flights’ saga: CDM slams Kwakye Ofosu’s conduct, urges Mahama to uphold decency
6 hours -
Ghana can’t be a cocaine coast – CDM to Mahama gov’t
6 hours -
CDM criticises Felix Kwakye Ofosu’s ‘clown’ comment directed at Rev Ntim Fordjour
6 hours -
Painter accused of stealing Bank of Ghana cables granted GH¢1M bail
6 hours -
I didn’t walk out of Newsfile – Ntim Fordjour refutes claims by Sammy Gyamfi
7 hours