Demand for dollars by dealers’ outstripped supply by a whopping 4.13 times or $105.25 million, data from the Bank of Ghana has revealed.
According to the latest result of the sale of dollars through the Forex Forward Rates Auction to dealers, the Central Bank was only able to supply $25 million to the dealers, largely the banks.
In actual fact, the bids submitted for the purchase of the American ‘greenback’ was estimated at $130.25 million.
This was far higher than the bids submitted a fortnight (July 27, 2022) ago.
The high demand for the US dollars indicates why the cedi has come under severe pressure in recent days, losing grounds against the American ‘greenback’.
$47.5 million of the 7-day tenor was the highest bid by the dealers, followed by $30.75 million for the 15-day tenor.
The 30-day tenor received bids worth $17.75 million, whilst the 45-day tenor received bids amounting to $3.25 million.
That of the 60-day and 75-day were estimated at $3.5 million and $750,000 respectively.
Meanwhile, the cedi is presently trading at ¢9.30 to the dollar in the retail market (forex bureau).
So far in 2022, it has lost value by about 29% and is the worst performing currency on the African continent according to Bloomberg.
- Asantehene insists chiefs cannot be blamed for galamsey activities
- ‘My husband either reaches Europe or dies at sea’
- PBC Ltd CEO, Richard Akuoko Adiyiah dead
- ‘The empty headedness of the youth was good enough to vote you into power’ – Senyo Hosi to KT Hammond
- The activities of Chairman Wontumi’s mining firm are illegal – John Jinapor
- Burkina Faso unrest: Military officers remove leader Damiba
- We do not deploy soldiers to provide security for mining firms – Armed Forces
- Galamsey fight: DCEs must get fired – John Awuah
- There is evidence to show some NPP top officials are into illegal mining – John Jinapor
- King Charles and late Queen will both feature on new 50p coins
- Livestream: 7th EMY Africa Awards on Joy Prime
- Patrons at Luv Fm Habitat Fair impressed with quality of event
- Count On Crops Hub equips 32 Agric Extension Officers with data collection skills
- Government fails to announce new farmgate price for cocoa despite start of season
- 2023 CHAN: Black Galaxies face Morocco, Madagascar and Sudan in Group C
- Fight against galamsey must be above partisan politics – Samuel Jinapor
- Customers can purchase electricity credits from Oct. 2 – ECG
- Arsenal beat Tottenham to go four points clear
- Aubameyang scores as Potter gets first Chelsea win
- Faisal Chibsah: From starting coaching career as volunteer to heading FIFA High-Performance specialist role for Africa
- Genser deal: We’re developing a Trojan horse to cannibalise all state enterprises in the energy sector – Ben Boakye
- Policymakers must ensure Ghana does not return to current economic situation – Dr. Twumasi-Baffuor
- Let the public know your innovations – Dr. Addo Kufuor charges tertiary institutions
- Over 1000 shops flooded at Kumasi Central Market; traders blame Contracta for the mess
- Orange Corners Ghana celebrates graduation of 45 entrepreneurs