Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Boris Johnson has lost his mother at the age of 79.
Charlotte Johnson Wahl, a professional painter, passed away “suddenly and peacefully” at a London hospital on Monday.
Johnson Wahl had been suffering from Parkinson’s disease.
During an interview in 2008, she had said: “I try to paint every day if I possibly can, though I have to go to the hospital a lot.
“I still manage to paint, though my arm will suddenly do a movement which is completely unintentional and that almost brings me to tears.”
Her artistic interests varied, but she made her name as a portrait painter, with sitters including author Jilly Cooper and actor Joanna Lumley.
Johnson Wahl studied English at Oxford University but put her education on hold to travel to the US with Stanley Johnson.
The two married in 1963 before she completed her degree as the first married female undergraduate at her college – Lady Margaret Hall.
She and Stanley had four children – Boris, journalist Rachel, former MP Jo, and environmentalist Leo – before divorcing in 1979.
In 1988, she married American professor Nicholas Wahl.
They lived in New York, where she turned to painting cityscapes and held a sell-out exhibition in 2004.
She returned to London in 1996, after Mr Wahl died.
Mr Johnson once described his mother as the “supreme authority” in the family and credited her with instilling in him the equal value of every human life.
Reacting to Johnson Wahl’s death, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said: “I’m very sorry to learn of the prime minister’s loss. My condolences to him and his family.”
- Father files $1m lawsuit after teacher cuts child’s hair
- Veteran actor ‘Kohwe’ passes on
- 11 SHSs put under surveillance on suspicion of exam malpractice – WAEC
- Guinea coup: ECOWAS gives military rulers 6 months to return country to constitutional order
- Guinea coup: ECOWAS’ ultimatum for return to democratic rule not feasible – Col Festus Aboagye
- Brussels to name street after murdered sex worker Eunice Osayande
- Hearts of Oak unveil new kits for 2021/22 season
- Most professionals have reached out to pay their taxes after President’s call – GRA
- You don’t have to use ‘big names’ realtors to acquire a house – Ecobank Ghana
- Sex workers at Sunyani arrested for allegedly beating a client to death
27-year-old arrested for alleged murder
Manchester City: Pep Guardiola will not apologise for asking more fans to attend Southampton game
Korle-Bu open doors for patients to share experience on World Patient Safety Day
Nicki Minaj’s Covid-19 vaccine ‘swollen testicles’ claim is false, says Trinidad Health Minister
Livestream: First episode of Joy Entertainment’s ‘Moment with Joy’ features Emefa Adeti
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a risk factor for depression in women – Gynaecologist
#Phobia110 trends as fans react to new Hearts of Oak jersey
Ghana bags over $6.5 billion in oil revenue in 10 years
My wife paid for our wedding expenses and I cherish her for that – Joy FM listener
World Bank discontinues publication of Doing Business report
Guinea coup: ECOWAS’ ultimatum for return to democratic rule not feasible – Col Festus Aboagye
Sex workers at Sunyani arrested for allegedly beating a client to death
Enimil Ashon: Incredible: MESTI has no Deputy Minister!
Who Wins the Ultimate Prize of MTN Ayoba Hackathon 2021?
Social media users mourn veteran actor, ‘Kohwe’