Parliamentary Candidate on the ticket of the NDC for the Zebilla Constituency escaped unhurt after armed robbers attacked his campaign convoy.
Cletus Avoka is said to have been returning from a campaign trip with his campaign team, when the incident occurred at about 10:30 pm Thursday night.
“This unfortunate life-threatening event occurred at Abuskologa when the Parliamentary Candidate and his campaign team were returning from their campaign tour to Gore, Tetako, Adagbera and Azuwera polling stations,” Constituency Communications Officer Atiah John Asandago said in a statement.
Mr Asandago further explained that the campaign ran into the night as electorates refused to return home, being eager to hear the message of the veteran politician.
“We got to Azuwera after 9:00 pm to address a large crowd that had gathered. We left Azuwera some few minutes after 10:00 pm. The advance team of the convoy made of motor riders took the lead.
“They were stopped by gun-wielding men at Abuskoliga, a place usually used by the police as a checkpoint during day time.
“The PC, Hon. Cletus Apul Avoka was luckily unhurt because his vehicle was stopped by a shouting crowd which heard the gunshots a short distance away from the robbery scene.
According to Mr Asandago, the robbers, however, made away with one of the victim’s motorcycle, mobile phones and some money.
A report has been made to the Zebilla police following the incident.
- My wife has left me because of my child with another woman – Osofo Kyiri Abosom
- The Fourth Estate uncovers fraud in SHS computerised placement
- Full video: SHS computerised placement for sale
- Officials of China Mall, Shoprite, Palace Mall picked up for tax violations
- WAEC explains BECE grading system
- 8 persons arrested in ‘School placement for sale’ exposé
- New chief falls from palanquin during coronation in Central Region
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- Haruna led Minority leadership had challenges working with Bagbin – Asiedu Nketia
- Assault on Latif Iddrisu: No policeman touched him – Attorney General
- Come for your passports – Foreign Affairs Ministry to applicants
- Today’s front pages: Tuesday, January 31, 2023
- South Africa calls on MTN, Ghana to resolve $773m tax dispute
- UK economy only G7 nation to shrink in 2023 – IMF
- Nigeria cost-of-living crisis sparks exodus of doctors
- Opuni Trial: Court to hear another motion for stay of proceedings
- Internal report on CSSPS related corruption ready – Kwasi Kwarteng
- We need to find out if investigation on CSSPS was concluded – Dr. Anti
- We were denied CSSPS data to check public basic schools placement quota – Eduwatch
- GRA taskforce arrests five shopping malls managers for tax infractions
- Ghana free from sleeping sickness
- Forestry Commission demobilises excavator in Atewa Forest
- Emmanuel Owusu: Proposals to operationalise Ghana Financial Stability Fund (GFSF)
- Minority reshuffle: We didn’t consult Caucus for good reasons – Asiedu Nketia
- Chelsea transfer news: Blues bid £105.6m for Enzo Fernandez