Audio By Carbonatix
Cuba Gooding Jr. was arraigned Thursday on new charges related to a third alleged sex abuse victim as Manhattan prosecutors revealed that more women have come forward with claims against the actor.
“Not guilty,” said the “Jerry Maguire” star, who was escorted into the courtroom in cuffs. Gooding faces a total of six misdemeanor counts of forcible touching and sex abuse stemming from three accusers’ allegations.
During the brief hearing in Manhattan Supreme Court, Assistant DA Jenna Long accused the defense team of leaking an edited video to TMZ, which shows the actor tapping the backside of TAO nightclub server Natasha Ashworth on October 24, 2018.
“We’ve provided defense counsel a short clip from one of the incidents and, within 24 hours, that video had been released to the media,” Long told Justice Curtis Farber. “We feel that the release is inappropriate and an effort to taint the jury pool. The video released was also incomplete and only shows conduct from immediately after the charged incident.”
He was previously indicted for touching Ashworth’s buttocks and for squeezing the breast of a 30-year-old accuser in June at the Moxy hotel.
Prosecutors offered no description of the newest allegation, but court papers say he subjected a woman to “sexual contact without consent” at LAVO on the Upper East Side between 11:15 p.m. September 9 and 12:10 a.m. September 10, 2018.
Long also said that since the last court date, several additional women have come forward with sexual misconduct claims, and they are probing their potential as Molineux witnesses. A judge can permit these witnesses to testify at trial to misconduct for which a defendant is not charged.
Prosecutors previously filed a motion asking a judge to let them introduce 12 Molineux witnesses who allege that Gooding touched them inappropriately.
At least 17 accusers have come forward, according to prosecutors.
Defense lawyers Mark Heller and Peter Toumbekis denied releasing the video and blasted prosecutors for charging Gooding in the first place.
Heller said that videos of each incident show that no crime occurred.
“This is clearly a case of malicious prosecution and we are confident that as soon as this case is dismissed, we will hold the city of New York and the accusers accountable for their conduct,” Heller said outside the courthouse.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
We Condemn Publicly. We Download Privately — A Ghanaian Digital Dilemma
54 minutes -
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
2 hours -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
2 hours -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
2 hours -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
2 hours -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
2 hours -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
2 hours -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
2 hours -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
3 hours -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
3 hours -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
3 hours -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
3 hours -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
3 hours -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
3 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
3 hours
