Audio By Carbonatix
Democratic Senator Ed Markey on Thursday proposed new national security safeguards that would ensure TikTok could remain online as the fate of the short video app used by 170 million Americans remains uncertain.
Congress last year passed legislation to force China's ByteDance to divest TikTok by January 19 or face a ban, but President Donald Trump has directed the Justice Department not to enforce the law.
Markey's proposal would eliminate the requirement that ByteDance sell TikTok’s U.S. operations if it establishes transparency requirements about content and limits foreign access to the data of TikTok’s American users.
Last month, Trump extended by 90 days to September 17 a deadline for ByteDance to divest the U.S. assets of TikTok.
Some Democratic lawmakers, including Markey, argue Trump has no legal authority to extend the deadline and have suggested the deal under consideration would not meet legal requirements.
“For months, I have been urging my colleagues to find an alternative path to the TikTok ban that keeps TikTok online without jeopardising national security," Markey said.
"With Trump continuing to illegally extend the divestment deadline, it’s time for Congress to reassert its legislative power, fix its mistake, and consider a new approach to TikTok."
A deal had been in the works this spring that would spin off TikTok's U.S. operations into a new U.S.-based firm, majority-owned and operated by U.S. investors.
This stalled after China indicated it would not approve it following Trump's announcements of steep tariffs on Chinese goods.
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick said last week that TikTok will have to stop operating in the United States if China does not approve a deal for the sale of the app.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Tuesday said the future of TikTok did not come up in recent trade talks with China.
Trump has three times granted reprieves from federal enforcement of the law that mandated the sale or shutdown of TikTok, which was supposed to take effect in January.
Latest Stories
-
US agency sues Coca-Cola bottler over employee event that excluded men
31 minutes -
German court orders X to grant data access for Hungary election research
42 minutes -
Use today’s gold windfall to insure Ghana’s future – Prof Peprah urges gov’t
54 minutes -
Create a Gold Stabilisation Fund now, or pay later – Finance Prof tells gov’t
1 hour -
Gold Board is good, but Ghana must prepare for the fall – Prof Peprah
2 hours -
Don’t let Gold Board become the next COCOBOD – Finance professor warns
2 hours -
Ivory Coast considers following Ghana with cocoa price cut, sources say
2 hours -
Microsoft says it does not think US ICE uses firm’s tech for mass surveillance of civilians
2 hours -
You’re never too old, says dancer, 71, cast in Taylor Swift video
3 hours -
Fake vice presidential staffer remanded over visa fraud
5 hours -
Mobile money vendor in court for stealing
5 hours -
Eleven remanded over land guard case activities
5 hours -
Air Force One set for makeover paint job with new colours
5 hours -
Bodo/Glimt stun Inter Milan to continue fairytale
5 hours -
Ga Mantse stable after early morning accident
5 hours
