Audio By Carbonatix
North Tongu MP Okudzeto Ablakwa has urged the national security agencies to desist from the use of extreme force against secessionist groups.
He stated that they must act with professionalism in response to the groups who have in recent days attacked state institutions like the police service.
In his view, the attempt to brutalise them may result in unwanted cases of violence in the country.
“What we would appeal for, however, is the security operations should be done with a human face. I have seen some cases of the use of excessive force and I would like to appeal as a Member of Parliament that these security operations should be done in a way that carries professionalism which we know our security agencies for,” he said.
Mr Ablakwa was speaking on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show after an unidentified group stormed the STC yard at Ho in the Volta Region and set a bus ablaze while holding the security person at gunpoint.
This occurred at midnight on Monday, September 28, 2020.
This comes after some men reportedly attacked police stations at Aveyime and Mepe in the North Tongu District.
After the attack, they blocked major roads with lit tyres and chanted war songs, in the early hours of Friday, September, 25.
The MP, however, noted that his constituency is willing to work with the security agencies to get rid of those who are causing unrest in the Region.
He wants the security agencies and government to restore the confidence of the citizenry by foiling future attempts by the group and others like them.
“We remain friends of the security apparatus and that they are welcome into our constituency so that if any of these miscreants are hiding anywhere they should be identified, picked up, apprehended and dealt with according to the law. We need them there to feel safer,” he told host, Kojo Yankson.
So far, 31 people said to be involved in last Friday's attack have been slapped with five charges by the Accra High Court.
But their lawyer, Theophilus Donkor has said his clients are not members of the Western Togoland Restoration Front (WTRF).
Latest Stories
-
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
43 minutes -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
2 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
3 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
3 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
3 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
4 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
4 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
4 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
4 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
4 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
4 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
5 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
5 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
5 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
5 hours