The Committee set up to investigate the cause of the collapsed Akyem Batabi Church of Prosperity building has observed that, the 4-storey church building was constructed with an expired permit issued twenty years ago for a single storey church building.
The Committee set up by the Institution of Engineering and Technology – Ghana (IET-GH) also noted among its key findings that “in the course of the construction, the church altered the building design to a 4-storey building with the Prophet’s residence on top, without retrofitting or fortifying the original foundation meant for a single storey church auditorium, or without consulting any building professional.”
In an 88 paged report, the Committee also observed that, although the Asene-Manso-Akroso District Assembly disinfected the church premises against Covid-19 pandemic on October, 17, preceding the building’s collapse, it did not notice any defect on the building or find out whether the church had a permit to put up such a huge structure.
The Committee began its investigations by interviewing some key stakeholders including the District Chief Executive for Asene-Manso-Akroso District, the Divisional Police Commander for Oda, Engineers in the Asene-Manso-Akroso District, the Chairman of the Council of Elders of the Church of Prosperity, some other elders and members of the church.
The four member committee visited the collapsed church building site for physical observations and caused structural integrity test to be conducted.
The church building collapsed on October 20 entrapping and killing twenty-two (22) people.
About eight (8) other members were injured.
One other member got missing and could not be found after a rigorous rescue operation.
After reviewing all test results, physical observations, interviews, and desk study, the investigative team concluded that the cause of the Batabi Church of Prosperity building collapse was a result of poor quality workmanship and institutional failure.
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
- African Ministers of Health endorse and support Africa Common Position on Covid-19 passport
- Hologram, QR Code to authenticate full vaccination status of Ghanaians
Classroom block for Islamic School commissioned in Akatsi North
DR Congo: 30 sentenced to death over anti-police clashes
PPP backs calls for independent probe into alleged assault of Caleb Kudah
Bawumia endorses Ghana’s candidate for Commonwealth Youth Council
Livestream: 5th edition Ghana CEO Summit
Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
GIPC hints of 5 years tax holidays for aquaculture investors
PharmAccess’ Dr Maxwell Antwi appointed to UHC2030 Advisory Group
Assault on journalists: Media Groups call for restructuring of National Security agency among others
Dr. Adoma Dwomo-Fokuo Odame: Dear Sam George, red is the only colour that matters
Miss Universe contestants unveil protest messages in politically charged pageant
Galamsey: Desilting and dredging of the Offin river underway
Enhance babies’ food with micronutrient powder – Nutrition Officer
23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
Prince Charles wants royal palaces to go from ‘private spaces to public places’ when he is king – report