Egypt has asked for help from the IMF as the government struggles to deal with the impact of the war in Ukraine.
As the world’s biggest importer of wheat, Egypt relies heavily on grain from Ukraine and Russia.
This week it set a fixed price for unsubsidised bread with the aim of controlling rising food prices due to the disruption to the wheat supply caused by the war.
Its tourism sector has also suffered a further setback, after two years of problems linked to the pandemic.
Earlier this week, the government in Cairo allowed the currency to devalue.
The IMF praised recent economic relief measures announced by the Egyptian authorities.
- In pictures: Hundreds rendered homeless at Ashalaja
- Scores of residents displaced, others trapped as Weija, Oblogo and Tetegu flood
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- ‘I have unfinished business with Black Stars’ – Milovan Rajevac
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- Police on manhunt for man flogging toddler in viral video
- Pay compensation to affected customers – PURC orders ECG
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- Joy News’ Joojo Cobbinah, NGO sue government over River Offin menstruation taboo
- Understanding the Fundamentals of Financial Wellbeing as a Catalyst for Personal Growth
- Imbibe discipline in your field of work – International Advertising Association
- BET Hip Hop Awards 2022: The complete list of winners
- ‘Galamsey’ poses an existential threat to our future – Akufo-Addo
- Angelina Jolie accuses Brad Pitt of abuse on private plane
- Use your political persuasions as platforms to act as change agents – Prof Sraku-Lartey to youth
- ECG prepaid vending system 99% restored in Volta Region
- Ukraine war: Russia warns US of direct military clash risk
- Help take partisanship out of galamsey fight – Akufo-Addo to National House of Chiefs
- Green Edition of ‘Rhythms on Da Runway 2022’ launched
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to get broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- Ekow Blankson’s last video goes viral on social media
- Africa needs a plan to win World Cup – Asamoah Gyan
- Playback: Akufo-Addo meets House of Chiefs and MMDCEs over galamsey in Kumasi
- Driving Schools Association to publish list of approved institutions