Audio By Carbonatix
The Ministry of Energy and Green Transition has pushed back against criticisms from the Minority in Parliament following the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission’s (PURC) announcement of a 9% electricity tariff increase effective January 2026.
Speaking on Joy FM’s Top Story on Monday, December 8, the Ministry’s Spokesperson and Director of Communication, Richmond Rockson, cautioned the Minority against politicising the adjustment, stressing that the government inherited a severely distressed power sector.
He said the previous administration left behind more than GH¢80 billion in debts owed by ECG, US$1.7 billion owed to Independent Power Producers (IPPs), systemic mismanagement, revenue under-declaration through the Cash Waterfall Mechanism, poor procurement practices, and recurring shortages of liquid fuels for thermal plants.
These were crippling challenges that undermined efficiency and stability in the power sector. The government has since implemented decisive reforms to address them,” Mr Rockson said.
He argued that the new 9% tariff increase must be viewed in context, especially when compared to the previous administration’s last major increment of 27%, which placed significant pressure on consumers.
“If you compare the current 9% increase to the last major increment of 27%, it clearly reflects the impact of the reforms championed by the government under Energy Minister Hon. John Jinapor, alongside the rebound of the economy and positive macroeconomic indicators,” he explained.
Mr Rockson noted that since January 2025, government interventions have strengthened compliance with the Cash Waterfall Mechanism, improved ECG revenue collection, ensured timely payments to IPPs and enforced transparent procurement processes.
According to him, these measures have delivered a stable power supply and reduced technical and commercial losses, marking a major turnaround in sector performance.
“The tariff adjustment announced by PURC is essential not only to safeguard utilities but also to support critical investments and maintain long-term stability in the power sector,” he added.
He urged the Minority to pursue constructive engagement rather than politicising a decision aimed at sustaining Ghana’s electricity infrastructure, insisting that the gains made so far must be protected through responsible policy and reform.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Bawumia can bounce back to win Ghana’s 2028 presidency – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
14 minutes -
ECG schedules outages on Tuesdays for Ahodwo-Santasi transmission lines relocation
17 minutes -
Female Israeli soldiers rescued after being chased by ultra-Orthodox men
17 minutes -
GCB Bank PLC prepares to launch non-interest banking window following high-level talks with IIFM
21 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Kotoko title hopes dented after Hearts of Oak loss – Interim coach
23 minutes -
Ghana Tree Crops Investment Summit 2026 to convene global stakeholders, targeting US$500m in sector investment
33 minutes -
Expert warns feminized AI may reinforce gender stereotypes
34 minutes -
Sinapi Aba apprenticeship program graduates 290 youth in Koforidua and Suhum
50 minutes -
Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu calls for separation of Parliament and ministerial appointments
56 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Hearts of Oak must ‘win games’ to become champions – Didi Dramani
58 minutes -
Ghana Embassy in Washington launches investment drive in California
1 hour -
GNAT condemns attack on WASS teachers, vows zero tolerance for violence
1 hour -
ICGC The Royal Temple donates over GH¢50,000 worth of items to Akropong School for the Blind
1 hour -
The speaker should be a member of Parliament—Kyei Mensah-Bonsu
1 hour -
Minority in Parliament doing their best under difficult circumstances – Kyei Mensah- Bonsu
1 hour
