For the first time in Ghana’s history, a female artiste has won the coveted Rapper of the Year award.
Rapper Eno Barony took home the award at the 2021 3Music Awards ceremony held at the Accra International Conference Center, Grand Arena.
She beat competition from Joey B, Medikal, M.anifest, Sarkodie, Strongman, Amerado, Ko-Jo Cue to win.
Although many people appreciate the talent and skill Eno Barony has, they were still surprised by her win especially because of the rappers she was going against.
Effing proud of you @eno_barony . You’ve always got this, all you needed was an equal playing field and you never disappointed.— Grateful Heart (@NaaSemira) March 28, 2021
See competition in that category but still, we won this. https://t.co/zQxnH6fchH
Nonetheless, they were happy she won the award. One fan wrote, “Eno winning Rapper of the year brings Delight to my heart.”
Eno Barony’s win can be attributed to the many works she released when she was entangled in a feud with Medikal and Sista Afia, including Argument Done.
In 2015, Drake bodied Meek Mill in a beef. His knockout song ‘Back to Back’, was nominated for a Grammy. Fast-foward to 2020, Eno Barony engaged Medikal in a heated lyrical exchange and she didn’t only get a nomination, but won Best Rapper at #3MusicAwards21. Poetry in motion!🔥 pic.twitter.com/o6Y6FyVAuE— Kenneth .A. Darko (@TheKennethDarko) March 28, 2021
After the controversy which generated attention for female rappers in the country, Eno Barony said she was optimistic her exploits in the music industry will pave the way for upcoming female rappers to rub shoulders with their male counterparts in rap music.
In an interview with GNA in Spetember 2020 she said, “we (female rappers) need to put more effort into our music if we want to be on the same level as men and to also get equal treatment. We do support each other to some extent but comparing it to the guys I think there is more to be done.”
In November that year, she won the Best Female Rap Act in Africa at the 2020 African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA).
- I feared for my life so I lied about being an Ewe – Caleb Kudah
- Citi FM journalist gained access to National Security premises under false pretences – Chief Director
- Affail Monney apologises for alleging Caleb Kudah breached Code of Ethics
- Information Minister visits Citi FM over alleged assault on 2 of its journalists
- Dzata Cement denies claims of selling product at ¢30 per bag
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Zoe Abu-Baidoo declined our invitation – National Security defends ‘Rambo-style’ invasion of Citi FM premises
- Ordering loophole allows students to eat for free at KFC for six months
- Assin North MP’s case: Cape Coast High Court dismisses allegation of bias against presiding judge
- Caleb Kudah didn’t breach Code of Ethics – GJA General Secretary
Complaints by aggrieved KATH staff have been resolved – Head of Surgery Directorate
Be firm in your stance to settle Dixcove dispute – Chieftaincy Minister urges Ahanta King
Ban use of mercury in small-scale mining – Asantehene
Citi FM petitions National Media Commission over assault on journalists
Millennial Street podcast takes on #FixTheCountry protests
I’ll deal with persons engaged in rosewood felling – Upper West Regional Minister
USAID promotes technology-based tracking system for criminal cases
Bono East Minister pledges completion of Kajaji SHS infrastructure
Chiefs involved in ‘galamsey’ to be sanctioned
Sunyani Municipal Hospital assures measures to improve health care following death of resident
UMB CEO celebrates Eid with customers in Tamale; donates items to Yaa-Naa’s
MTN donates to Chief Imam, 6000 families for Eid ul-Fitr
Ernest Ako (Former IGP)
First phase of US-supported Covid-19 critical case management training in Ghana ends
Social media reacts to Affail Monney’s apology on Citi FM journalist’s breach of ethics comment