The Asante Bekwai Circuit Court has sentenced a farmer to 20 years imprisonment in hard labour for robbery.
Michael Nhyira Cobbina, 31, robbed Mrs Bernice Yeboah, a farmer, of her cell phone at knifepoint, as her children, aged five and 10, screamed for help.
Nhyira Cobbina admitted the offence when he was put before the Court and was convicted on his own plea.
Detective Chief Inspector Eric Twum told the Court presided by Mr Mark Tair-ima Diboro that both Cobbina and Mrs Yeboah were farmers and neighbours at Aduabin in the Ashanti Region.
He said at about 09.30 pm on Thursday, December 01, 2022, Mrs Yeboah, and her children who were asleep were awoken by a bang on her main door.
She then noticed a male adult in a face mask, armed with a knife, standing in front of her demanding money, and threatening to harm her if she did not give him what he wanted.
The prosecution said her two children woke up and on seeing the spectacle and hearing the threats started screaming for help.
But because they lived on their cocoa farm, 900 meters away from their neighbours in the Aduabin township, no one heard their cries.
Detective Chief Inspector Twum said Mrs Yeboah who became helpless, gave up her Itel mobile phone which had electronic cash of GH₵2,000.00 to Nhyira Cobbina.
Nhyira Cobbina thereafter left with the phone, but luck eluded him when a witness in the case who bought the said phone for Mrs Yeboah, saw the convict’s wife using the same handset and quickly informed the complainant.
Chief Inspector Twum said Mrs Yeboah then reported the matter to the Feyiase Police Station on December 08, 2022.
Cobbina was subsequently arrested and the Itel mobile phone was retrieved from his wife. Cobbina’s wife had inserted her SIM card into the phone, and the Police also found pictures of the convict and his wife in the device.
The prosecution said Cobbina had earlier told Police he personally bought the phone from someone at Adum for his wife, but an investigation later revealed that he was the one who robbed Mrs Yeboah.
He led the Police to his room where he handed over all exhibits, whereafter he was charged and put before the court.
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- Suspected food poisoning: 5 die after eating waakye
- Government reaches deal with Securities Industry Association to sign up for Domestic Debt Exchange
- Court orders for pregnancy test of woman convicted in ¢50k theft before sentence
- Patience Ozokwor explains why she didn’t remarry after husband’s death
- Debt Exchange Programme: Jubilee House, EMT against inclusion of individual bondholders – Bright Simons
- DDE could be a positive turning point for Ghana – Alhassan Andani
- Ghanaian students on government scholarship stranded in UK over delayed stipend
- Full Report: Technical Committee on exclusion of individual bondholders from Debt Exchange Programme
- Individual bondholders petition Togbe Afede over Domestic Debt Exchange Programme
- There is a need for proper accountability of climate change funds – Dr Segtub
- Livestream: Joy Prime’s BMPS Show: Is flirting disrespectful to your partner?
- What if Muntaka is appointed party’s campaign manager – NDC Executive Member on Minority leadership shake-up
- #SomethingWickedAwards live on Hitz FM
- Climate change funds should be used more for adaptation and mitigation efforts – Penplusbytes
- 1 suspect arrested in Krofrom gang attack
- Only 1 person died from suspected food poisoning at Oyibi – FDA
- UMB launches 2 new life insurance products with SIC Life
- Gang burns down six-bedroom house in reprisal attack at Krofrom
- 7 shot dead at Jerusalem synagogue
- We need to continue pressing for information – Prof Gadzekpo urges public
- Proposals for selecting leaders of NDC Minority Caucus was ignored – Haruna Iddrisu
- Lack of affirmative action cause of lopsided nature of Parliament – Prof. Audrey Sitsofe Gadzekpo
- I can’t wait to get started – Antoine Semenyo after completing Bournemouth move
- Lynx Entertainment signees ‘BDSM’ thrill patrons at Coming Soon EP release party