Flood water electrocutes 2 in Tamale

Two people have died after they were electrocuted in floodwaters at a taxi rank in Tamale in the Northern region following a heavy downpour Thursday afternoon.  

One other person is also in a critical condition at the Tamale Teaching Hospital is said to be responding to treatment.  

According to Joy News Martina Bugri, at about 4:30 pm there was a heavy downpour which flooded the taxi rank area.  

This forced several people to seek shelter in a nearby chop bar but unknowing to the people there was a loose electric cable exposed which electrocuted the container they had sought shelter in.

In their bid to escape, two people – a female later identified as Boya and a young man known called Christopher – fell in an open drain in front of the container.    

The Northern Regional Director of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Abdallah Hindu told Joy News Boya was rescued but died on arrival at the hospital.  

He said after the floods receded Christopher was found dead in the drain.