Audio By Carbonatix
Novak Djokovic wasted a few opportunities but safely reached the third round of the French Open with a 7-5 6-3 6-4 victory against Belgian qualifier Steve Darcis on Thursday.
Djokovic dropped serve twice against the world number 161 but eventually his class told as he set up a third-round meeting with Brit Aljaz Bedene, who beat Pablo Carreno Busta 6-3 4-6 5-7 6-2 earlier in the day.
"I'm pleased to get the job done in three sets, but there were things that I definitely didn't like in my game today," said Djokovic. "Too many unforced errors from the first or second shot in the rally. But credit to Steve for playing a lot of variety and mixing up the pace.
"Very low slice. It's not easy, because he's very quick, and he anticipates the play very well."
The world number one allowed Darcis break backs in both the first and third sets in an uncharacteristically sloppy performance. Darcis clawed his way back into contention from 3-0 down in the first set before a loose backhand gave the Serb the first set. The second stanza was a far more straightforward affair as Djokovic claimed an early break before ruthlessly seeing it out. However, sloppiness again crept back into Djokovic’s game in the third.
The Serb led 2-0 but again allowed Darcis back in before rallying to take the third 6-4.
"Hopefully, that's not going to happen in the following rounds. The matches will get tougher, and it's kind of expected at the beginning that you are a bit rusty on the court, and hopefully things will get better," added Djokovic.
---
Latest Stories
-
Rev Prof Amevenku elected 15th EPCG Moderator, pledges servant leadership
2 minutes -
Military leaders urged to prepare for emerging security threats
7 minutes -
Ghana to expand pharmaceutical manufacturing capacity – Mahama
13 minutes -
Ghana to hold referendum on proposed constitutional amendments in 2027 – Mahama
20 minutes -
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Ankomah
26 minutes -
GTA shuts down four accommodation facilities in Central Region
32 minutes -
Sustained peace will restore Bawku to its former glory – Mahama
38 minutes -
15% of maternal mortality deaths in Kumasi are ‘imported’- Health Director
45 minutes -
Oil rises as US-Iran peace talks stall, Hormuz shipping slows
53 minutes -
A $50m hostage ransom funded al Qaeda’s Mali offensive, UN says
1 hour -
Zambia’s Hichilema leads presidential vote count
1 hour -
If Meta loses this trial, Instagram and Facebook could change forever
1 hour -
Ferrari’s first ever electric car sold for record $40m at auction
2 hours -
Singapore police investigate assault on elderly man who patted child’s head
2 hours -
US judge clears way for Trump to end Somalis’ deportation protections
2 hours