Audio By Carbonatix
Minister for Communications, Digital Technology and Innovations, Samuel Nartey George, says government will begin a fresh nationwide SIM registration exercise by the first quarter of 2026.
The Minister said the previous exercise conducted under former Minister Ursula Owusu-Ekuful and the former NPP government was invalid.
He argued that “the registrations that were purported to have been done by Ursula Owusu and the NPP did not cross-reference the biometrics they took from you against that database. Nothing of that sort was done.”
Mr George said the necessary legal framework is almost ready. According to him, “the L.I is ready and again I am meticulous about what I am doing. First quarter next year, we will run it out. We are currently at the Public Procurement Authority doing the procurement of the service provider to do the SIM registration.”
He said that the new process will be grounded in law. “We have drafted the L.I and it will be laid before Parliament because again there must be a proper legal basis for what we are doing. Already, there’s been testing, there’s been all kinds of things done by the regulator,” he stated.
The Minister also clarified that the upcoming exercise will not be a continuation of the previous one. “We are not doing a re-registration. We are doing a SIM registration. You didn’t do any registration, the former Minister just wasted everybody’s time,” he said.
The Minister was speaking in an interview on TV3, Wednesday, December 3, where he added that the Ministry has been working closely with the National Identification Authority (NIA) and other relevant agencies to secure a more reliable system for biometric verification.
“So, now we have sat down with the Interior Minister and his head of agency, Yayra Koku at NIA. We have worked out the integration between the Telco, the regulator, NCA, and the NIA.”
He further noted that the government is cleaning up previously collected data to ensure accuracy. “All the biometrics they (NPP) collected it was just sitting in databases scattered all over the place. We have picked those databases, and we are now cleaning them up and cross referencing them with the NIA in the backend. About 80% of them have been done,” he added.
Latest Stories
-
Moon sighting for Ramadan 2026 set for February 18 – Office of Chief Imam
4 minutes -
NAIMOS task force cracks down on galamsey in Ashanti Region over Valentine’s weekend
22 minutes -
OSP goofed and must tell Ghanaians the truth – Frank Davies reacts to Red Notice decision
32 minutes -
Today’s Front Pages: Monday, February 16, 2026
47 minutes -
‘Victory in 2028 won’t be gifted to us’ – Bawumia urges discipline, unity in NPP
1 hour -
Lordina Mahama announces completion of 3 modern maternity and children’s wards
1 hour -
IOM, Fidelity Bank Ghana Ltd partner to boost financial literacy for Ghanaian returnees
1 hour -
There is nothing wrong with being arrested as a politician – Afenyo-Markin urges NPP unity
1 hour -
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
1 hour -
WHY Dr Bawumia must retain NAPO as running mate: Consistency, loyalty and strategy are good in politics
1 hour -
GNFS prevents petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
2 hours -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
2 hours -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
2 hours -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
2 hours
