Audio By Carbonatix
Tyson Fury will face Oleksandr Usyk for the undisputed heavyweight titles on May 18 in Saudi Arabia, after the bout was rescheduled.
Organizers had previously scheduled the heavyweight contest for 17 February, 2025.
However, a serious sparring injury on Friday forced Fury to withdraw from the contest.
When it finally happens, Fury versus Usyk will be the heavyweight division's first undisputed title fight in the four-belt era.
Fury, the WBC champion will now face Usyk, the IBF, WBO and WBA champion.
Speaking on the MMA Hour, external, Fury took aim at Usyk's manager Egis Klimas who questioned the legitimacy of his injury.
"Egis, never call me a coward again," he said. "[I have] never backed down from any man in my life."
There has not been an undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis defeated Evander Holyfield in 1999.
Fury's cut above his right eye required "urgent medical attention" and "significant stitching". It is the third time since 2023 a fight date between Usyk and Fury has been rescheduled.
Event organiser Turki Alalashikh, chairman of Saudi Arabia's general entertainment authority, said if either Usyk or Fury withdrew from the new date they would forfeit ÂŁ9.3m to the other fighter.
It has also been announced that Dmitry Bivol and Artur Beterbiev will fight on 1 June in a light-heavyweight undisputed fight between two undefeated champions.
Bivol holds the WBA (Super) title while Beterbiev has the WBO, IBF and WBC belts.
The Russians will headline Matchroom's five-versus-five card against Queensberry Promotions where five of Eddie Hearn's best fighters will fight five of Frank Warren's best.
It continues Saudi Arabia's massive spending in the sport of boxing with Anthony Joshua v Francis Ngannou the next major event set to take place in the kingdom on 9 March.
Saudi Arabia has become a global hub for boxing but has provoked scrutiny due to the country's poor human rights record - 81 men were executed on one day in 2022 - women's rights abuses, the criminalisation of homosexuality, the restriction of free speech and the war in Yemen.
Latest Stories
-
Dubai Chamber leads 19-Company Trade Mission to Ghana as non-oil trade hits AED39.6bn
11 minutes -
Supreme Court admits Methodist Church Trustees in controversial Wesley Girls’ SHS case
12 minutes -
Aflao Traditional Council opposes relocation of High Court
15 minutes -
NADMO clears fallen tree at Ataala Junction after heavy rainfall
17 minutes -
PBC secures GH₵30m financing facility to pay cocoa farmers
29 minutes -
PAC disappointed over neglect of Ghana’s New York Mission building
36 minutes -
Mighty Minority ready to take on NDC in 2028 – Annoh-Dompreh
38 minutes -
Family of murdered Momo vendor gives IGP 14-day ultimatum or they’ll occupy Ketu police command
43 minutes -
Abronye DC’s health is deterioting in detention – Oppong Nkrumah
46 minutes -
CDSU marks milestones in Global Diplomatic Education and Institutional Evolution
49 minutes -
Of 5,000 hectares and 5,000 acres: The ‘small matter’ of land size for Petroleum Hub project
58 minutes -
Man killed in Bibiani-Asawinso galamsey clash, site owner arrested
1 hour -
Lack of basic educational facilities threatens quality learning at Bueko School
1 hour -
Over 16 NPP members arrested over social media commentary – Oppong Nkrumah alleges
1 hour -
Mahama gov’t has failed faster than expected – Annoh-Dompreh fires at NDC
1 hour