Ghacem Cement Foundation was established by Ghacem Limited in 2002 as part of its corporate social responsibility (CSR) to assist deprived communities to improve their health and educational infrastructure.
The foundation has since its inception given a total of 600,000 bags of cement to deprived communities across the country valued at a cost of ¢27 million.
The cement donation by the foremost cement manufacturer is done annually to hand over the allocated bags to institutions across the country grouped into Southern (Central, Western, Western North, Volta, Oti, Eastern and Greater Accra Region) and Northern (Northern, North East, Savannah, Upper East, Upper West, Bono East, Bono, Ahafo and Ashanti Region) sectors as a support package for the institutions which are currently undertaking various infrastructural projects.
Southern Sector donation
This year’s Southern Sector donation ceremony was held in Takoradi at the Best Western Atlantic Hotel on July 29, 2021.
A total of 15,400 bags was donated to selected health and educational institutions captured under the Southern sector.
The Northern Sector, which consists of the Northern, North East, Savannah, Upper East, Upper West, Brong East, Brong, Ahafo and Ashanti Region, will also receive its estimated allocation of free cement slated for September this year.
Ehunabobrim Prah Agyensaim VI, Chairman of the foundation who briefed the gathering on the activities of the foundation emphasized that Ghacem decided to support education and health in a bid to make a significant impact in Ghana’s infrastructural development.
He implored beneficiaries, past and present to use the Ghacem superior cement product always as they also contribute to the success of the Ghacem Cement Foundation.
Ehunabobrim Prah Agyensaim VI bemoaned the disheartening experience when Council Members come across images of projects that need genuine help but did not follow the correct mode of application and as such had to be rejected.
He seized the opportunity to reiterate the correct mode of application and appealed to beneficiaries to use the donation for the intended purpose.
He made reference to the Ghacem website and the Ghacem App on all android phones for the official criteria.
Mode of Application
Ehunabobrim Prah Agyensaim VI disclosed that two types of application exist which includes: To rehabilitate an existing structure that needs work to be done and for new structures, the community has reached lintel level that needs support.
The procedure includes an Original application letter from the Community or Head of the Institution (The Chief, Chairman, Town Development Council, Head Teacher/Master, Doctor-in Charge or Medical Assistant/Administration and Head Midwife).
A Letter from the District Director of Education or Health. A Letter from the DCE or any Senior Government Official or Chairman of the Town Development Council or head of the religious institution. Two pictures of existing structures to be rehabilitated to be endorsed by the Director of Education/ Health and add expected completion time for the project after the cement has been donated. Applicants are to apply for one project at a time.
He however cautioned that double application will be cancelled, and the applicant banned for life whereas fraudulent applications will also be banned, and applicants handed over to the Police for investigation and prosecution.
In her address, Prof. Audrey Gadzekpo, a Council member for the Foundation, said the council was delighted to see the annual ceremony bounce back after it was called off last year during the heat of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“Ghacem cannot talk too much about the adverse effect of the Covid-19 but we take solace in the knowledge that by giving the premium quality cement for infrastructural development, we are contributing in our own way to alleviate some of the hardship experienced in the health and education sectors of the country,” he said.
She appealed to beneficiaries to use the donated cement judiciously and also spread the good news to all other Institutions who will want to benefit provided they qualify.
Benny Fiifi Ashun, Head of the Ghacem Cement Foundation Secretariat who doubles as the Marketing & PR Manager of Ghacem informed that the Foundation is committed to providing more support especially to institutions mostly found in deprived/remote areas of the country “which makes Ghacem a Corporate Entity that stands tall in the socio-economic development of the country”, he said.
“We will continue to target education and health infrastructure in these deprived areas to support Government’s developmental agenda” he intimated.
- Government to face difficult refinancing options in repaying maturing T-Bills – Report
- Ayew brothers dropped as Inaki Williams starts for Black Stars in Nicaragua clash
- 3rd-year Mechanical Engineering student tells story of how he begged for a plate of food
- Aisha Huang denied bail again as judge calls on judiciary to help save water bodies
- Fatawu Issahaku scores debut goal as Black Stars record narrow win over Nicaragua
- Luv News uncovers degradation of Tano Nimri Forest Reserve
- ‘Nicaragua won’t be as tough as Brazil’ – Otto Addo
- Pressure mounts on government to scrap SIM re-registration deadline
- Kirani Ayat calls out Akufo-Addo, Tourism Ministry after promo video featured shots from his ‘Guda’ visuals
- Samuel Boadu leaves Hearts of Oak by mutual termination
- NDC dissociates itself from Akufo-Addo’s booing; says incident reflects mood of Ghanaians
- Four envoys present credentials to President Akufo-Addo
- We are receiving threats of contract termination – School Feeding Caterers
- IMF sounds alarm on UK tax cut plans
- Malawi’s John Chilembwe gets statue in London’s Trafalgar Square
- Medical and Dental Council’s directive only applies to students who are yet to graduate – Dr. Banyubala
- We provided opportunities for medical students from Ukraine to enroll in Ghanaian universities – Dr. Banyubala
- Galamsey takes over rice farms in Upper Denkyira East
- Claims GNPC is causing financial loss to the state in Genser deal misleading – Deputy Energy Minister
- The Council from 2017 had issues with medical training from certain parts of the world – Dr. Banyubala
- Police investigate drowning of Officer at Sefwi Amoaya
- Bui Power Authority committed to harnessing football talents within its enclave – Management
- Andre Ayew becomes Ghana’s joint most capped player alongside Asamoah Gyan
- West Africa Crypto and Fintech summit held in Accra
- Sthenjwa Luthuli explores freedom and social restriction in Imbewu Yokhokho exhibition