The Minority in Parliament has cast doubt on President Akufo-Addo’s assurance that there will be no haircuts on investments and pension funds of the citizenry.
According to the NDC MPs, it will be impossible for Ghana to secure an International Monetary Fund (IMF) programme without some form of debt restructuring that will include a loss in investments.
President Akufo Addo on Sunday declared that there will be no haircut as part of Ghana’s negotiations with the IMF to secure a bailout.
But speaking to JoyNews on Monday, Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu, said his checks with the IMF suggest otherwise.
“There will be [haircut] and the name of the barber maybe sika mmpɛ dede but let’s see, as the days go by he will swallow his pride and weep,” he said.
MP for Ajumako-Enyan-Esiam constituency, Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson, shares in the position as well.
According to him, “I don’t know the basis the President made that statement but if you run the math it doesn’t add up and I will be surprised that Ghana will get an IMF programme without a haircut.”
Government has however clarified that the principal of investments will not be affected but other options are on the table.
According to the Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, that is the understanding he has on the issue.
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group