The Interior Minister, Ambrose Dery is appealing to the man whose CCTV cameras captured the robbery attacks on a bullion van leading to the killing of a police officer and another person to release the video to the Police to assist in arresting the criminals.
“I want to emphasize that I told the Police each death is equally important. It mustn’t be a police officer, it mustn’t be a prominent politician, each death is equally important.
“This matter should be dealt with as quickly as possible. It happened in the daytime but they raise an issue that I think I want to use this forum to [make an] appeal. They say there is a person who owns a CCTV in the vicinity.”
The appeal follows a resistance from the owner who is currently refusing to cooperate with the police.
But Mr. Dery who was commenting on the killing of a police officer in a robbery attack on a bullion van in Jamestown said “:…What we call bullion vehicles in Ghana are just ordinary vehicles with plates on them that are not armoured.
“They don’t give the police and the cash any protection and so it is easy for bullets to go through them so they are not bullion vans,” he said
He disclosed that steps have been taken to protect policemen and women when they go on operations with a number of bulletproof vests and helmets.
“The first consignment that came in, about 4000 of them came in just before we experienced the deaths of a number of policemen in these past few years. The police officers were encouraged because we then issued those vests for them and also made provisions for them to carry side weapons to protect themselves.
“5000 is not adequate, we are dealing with over 40,000 police officers and for those who have interests such as banks and financial institutions, we do not think that the limited resources that we have for the protection of the general public should be allocated to that special needs.”
Meanwhile, Police in Kyebi in the Abuakwa South Municipality of the Eastern Region have arrested four suspects believed to have been involved in the deadly bullion van robbery attack at Jamestown in Accra.
The suspects: Collins Addae aka Kekye from Akim-Swedru; Ebenezer Gyimah, aka Peace and Musa Kamara, 26; with his brother Suleman Ketah, 26 years old alias 69, both from Guinea, are said to be on the police wanted list.
The suspects, according to reports, were fished from their hideouts at a mining site at Kyebi by the police upon information gathered by the CID Headquarters in Accra.
- Medical Doctor gets emotional on Joy FM over debt exchange
- Black Stars’ Christian Atsu reportedly missing after earthquake in Turkey
- My loss to Manny Pacquiao was deliberate – Joshua Clottey
- Haruna Iddrisu accepts changes in Minority leadership
- Muntaka accepts Minority leadership reshuffle after meeting with Mahama
- ‘God, please’ – Asamoah Gyan prays for Christian Atsu, other celebs join
- Cedi continues recent gain against dollar; $1 now ¢10.40
- Over 1000 dead as huge quake toppled buildings in Turkey and Syria while people slept
- Let’s continue to pray for Christian Atsu – Mahama to Ghanaians
- It is sad BoG unlawfully printed $3.3bn for government – IEA Director of Research
- Asante Akim Central NPP calls for fresh polling station elections
- We’ve amicably resolved impasse over change in Minority Leadership – NDC Council of Elders
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- SMEs without certification could lose out on ACFTA benefits – Trade Ministry warns
- Livestream: PM Express discusses DDEP and government’s trust deficit
- All set for Kwabena Kwabena’s ‘Vitamilk Love Night’ show on Feb. 11
- Non-participation in DDEP will prolong efforts to resolve current economic crisis – Ofori-Atta
- If you want to get the best out of your employee, compensate them – HR Instructor advises employers
- Sign up for debt exchange ahead of deadline – Ofori-Atta counsels bondholders
- Joy Entertainment Unpacked: Highlighting Guiltybeatz’s Grammys recognition
- Turkey earthquake: Atsu pulled out of rubble alive, says Portugese portal
- DDEP will bring economic stability and growth – Finance Minister
- Ankaful inmates get medical supplies from Tobinco Pharmaceuticals
- Suame traders fume; resist planned demolition of market
- Jesse Morgan recruits Celestine Donkor for inspiring single, Wataban (Wings of God)