A German court has jailed a far-right gunman for life for his deadly attack on a synagogue in the eastern city of Halle last year.
Stephan Balliet, 28, shot and killed a female passer-by and a man at a kebab shop after failing to break into the synagogue on 9 October 2019.
Only a heavy, bolted door kept him from firing at 52 Jewish worshippers marking the Yom Kippur festival inside.
It nearly became Germany’s worst anti-Semitic atrocity since the Nazi era.
Balliet expressed no remorse for the attack on the synagogue.
During his five-month trial, Balliet denied the Holocaust in open court – a criminal offence in Germany.
He said that “attacking the synagogue was not a mistake, they are my enemies”.
He wore combat fatigues on the day of the attack and filmed the shooting, broadcasting it for 35 minutes on the internet.
- Sam George: Lack of bed and ambulance led to death of a 12-year-old
- Ordering loophole allowed students to eat for free at KFC for six months
- Woman attacked by wild antelope succumbs to death
- Ernest Ako (Former IGP)
- Parliament will carry out its own investigation into alleged assault on Citi FM journalists – James Agalga
- Accounts of how some people are treated by National Security shocking – Samson Lardi
- Playback: Newsfile discusses alleged assault on Citi FM journalists, Otumfuo joins ‘galamsey’ fight
- Social media reacts to Affail Monney’s apology on Citi FM journalist’s breach of ethics comment
- I’m surprised DSP Azugu is still at post after Ayawaso West Wuogon violence – James Agalga
- Complaints by aggrieved KATH staff have been resolved – Head of Surgery Directorate
Emotional Stephen Appiah tears up talking about son Rodney
Attacks on journalists: Seek help from international bodies if national agencies fail to address problem – Ken Ashigbey
Shun party politics at the workplace – Central Regional Minister
GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 25
Wesley Girls no fasting policy: Peace Council calls on Ghanaians to be circumspect in pronouncements
Israel strike in Gaza destroys building with AP, other media
Chinese busted for mining at River Pra by military task force
Rotary Club builds classroom block for Yahima SDA
Government must involve local communities in anti-galamsey campaign – Galamsey Researcher
We’ll fully cooperate with Energy Minister to facilitate lifting of new LPG outlets ban – LPG Marketers Association
Covid-19 has affected blood mobilisation – Dr Srofenyo
We have $200m for you to borrow – ECOWAS Bank to governments, businesses
Ban on drumming and noisemaking imposed in Korle-Klottey as preparations towards Homowo begin
US to deepen bilateral relationship with Ghana as United Airlines recommences flights to KIA