Reggie Rockstone is asking young Ghanaians to not belittle the impact of the hiplife genre on musicians and the industry.
This comment comes after Shatta Wale in an interview said the Hiplife genre and Reggie Rockstone has not had enough influence.
This is not time to drop diss songs when people are dying – Shatta Wale blasts Sarkodie over Sub Zero release and poos on @ReggieRockstone’s legacy pic.twitter.com/e343ERF2GE— King Sel (@SelTheBomb) April 7, 2020
According to Reggie Rockstone, hiplife did not inspire generations in Ghana alone but in other countries across Africa.
Artistes like 2Face and many others were influenced to work more in their local languages when Hiplife became a thing in Ghana, he told Andy Dosty on Hitz FM, Wednesday.
“Let’s not try and downplay our achievements. Hiplife is ours. It is like downplaying Kwame Nkrumah, Highlife or Kente.” Reggie Rockstone added.
The hiplife Grandpapa, as he is popularly known, explained that the genre is the one genre of music aside highlife in the country to have books written on it.
“In the history of Ghana you have never had a prolific youth-oriented movement like hiplife and it is documented.”
Some of these books are “Living the hiplife: Celebrity and Entrepreneurship in Ghanaian Popular Music and ‘The hiplife in Ghana: West African Indigenization of Hip-Hop’.
- Perez Chapel’s Agyinasare given 14 days to appear before Nogokpo traditional leaders
- Rastafarian student nearly rejected by Achimota School may represent them at NSMQ
- Lack of transparency and accountability may force us to cut support to School Feeding Programme – World Bank
- Can Gyekye-Quayson lawfully run as an MP in the Assin-North bye-election? (Kwaku Azar writes)
- Nottingham Forest release Andre Ayew
- ‘If NPP can get a consensus candidate, it’ll help us tremendously’ – Hackman
- 1V1D: Government spent averagely ¢670k on each of the ‘dried dams’ – Research
- Newly commissioned Catechist dies during Communion Service at Gowrie
- Man jailed 4 years for leaving fatally injured girlfriend in car
- GBC staff issue one-week ultimatum over cancelled allowances
- Supreme Court ruling will protect the independence of constitutional bodies – Martin Kpebu
- Accord Bawumia constitutional dignity – NPP flagbearer aspirants urged
- Anthrax outbreak: One reported dead, others infected at Binduri
- Chris Hughton is a great guy and we are excited to work under him – Tariq Lamptey
- Ghanaian now Mayor of Royal Borough of Greenwich, UK
- MSport Football Challenge: Road to final 2023
- BECE will not be cancelled – GES Boss
- British Vogue editor Edward Enninful steps down
- Ken Ofori-Atta sues Captain Smart ¢10m for defamation
- Deloitte Ghana’s volunteer day impacts 10,000 students
- Government committed to a swift revival of economy – Ofori-Atta to foreign investors
- Biden says debt ceiling deal averted ‘economic collapse’
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses Supreme Court ruling on Domelevo, NPP flagbearer race
- Soo, Wasipe hostilities: Mahama calls for urgent intervention of Overlords of Mamprugu and Gonjaland
- Comfort Yeboah