A senior military officer accused together with others of plotting to overthrow government says he is being vilified.
Colonel Samuel Kojo Gameli on Tuesday took the offer from the District Court to speak for the first time after the state prosecutors had asked that he should be committed to stand trial at the High Court.
Senior State Attorney Hilda Craig had told the court that some of them held discussions on whether or not to kill the President once their plot succeeds.
They are also alleged to have planned to acquire electronic equipment solely for the purpose of jamming the National Communications Authority’s system to render all broadcasting stations except the state broadcaster useless.
Col. Gameli described the accusations as surprising when called upon by Magistrate Eleanor Botwe to speak.
“I am innocent and deny the charges against me. As a senior military officer, I have served the armed forces and mother Ghana for 31 solid years. I was recently promoted. Is this the best way to thank my superiors ?” he quizzed.
On the other soldiers standing trial with him, he said he doesn’t know any of them but he will be their commander in this trial.
“I have not met them before, they have never served under me, and I have never held any such discussions with them. However, in this trial, I am their commander and my heart is with them”.
He, however, admitted to knowing the first accused person Dr Frederick MacPalm whom he said was his school mate and has for years been his family doctor.
He, however, said he has no idea about the weapons said to have been found Dr MacPalm’s medical facility.
He ended his statement to the court by saying he suspects a plot by the security agencies because of what he knows.
“I think my link with this alleged coup plot is an orchestration by security agencies because of some serious problems within the Ghana Armed Forces which some of us are aware of.
I am being intimidated and vilified. I deny all the charges against me. I have not been treated well since I was arrested. Sharing one lavatory with my soldiers and toothpaste as a senior military Officer is unfair” he ended his statement.
- ASEPA calls for the removal of GJA President, Affail Monney
- Citi FM journalist gained access to National Security premises under false pretenses – Chief Director
- Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
- NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Dzata Cement denies claims of selling product at ¢30 per bag
- Coach Paa Kwasi Fabin names 27-man Black Meteors squad to face Japan
- Francis Xavier-Sosu: Eid-ul-Fitr reflections – Human rights and security implications, the case of Wesley Girls’ and the Methodist Church
- Oppression of journalists, citizens by Akufo-Addo government must stop – Sammy Gyamfi
- Heavy downpour renders several Damongo residents homeless
Information Minister visits Citi FM over alleged assault on 2 of its journalists
Domestic violence still rife in Upper West Region – Action Aid Ghana
Tokyo 2020: United States track and field team cancels pre-Olympic training in Japan
NCCE urges security agencies to be neutral
Aymeric Laporte switch from France to Spain approved by Fifa
Zoe Abu-Baidoo declined our invitation – National Security defends ‘Rambo-style’ invasion of Citi FM premises
We should have scored seven against Dwarfs – Mariano Barreto
Assin North MP’s case: Cape Coast High Court dismisses allegation of bias against presiding judge
I feared for my life so I lied about being an Ewe – Caleb Kudah
Man, 25, burns neighbour’s apartment after an argument
Remittances to Ghana shoots up to $3.6bn in 2020
Enimil Ashon: #Fix our values; everything else will get fixed
Davido set to host his debut Twitter Space
Israel intensifies attacks in Gaza as conflict enters fifth day
Occupy Ghana calls for independent body of inquiry to investigate Caleb Kudah’s assault allegations