A 15-year-old boy has allegedly attempted suicide by jumping into a deep well at Mfuom-Aboabo, a suburb of Dunkwa-on-Offin in the Upper Denkyira East Municipality of the Central Region.
Yaw Gyamfi, survived with injuries, fell unconscious before being sent to the Dunkwa Municipal Government Hospital.
The second-year junior high school student of the Presbyterian Junior High School at Dunkwa said he tried to end his life when he failed his terminal exams on three occasions.
“I felt frustrated and dejected when I failed the exams, so I decided to end my life,” he said.
The Upper Denkyira East Municipal NADMO Coordinator, Alhassan Yakubu, explained, Yaw Gyamfi stays with his grandmother, and on that fateful day, the grand mum left the house for church only to return to realize that Yaw was not in the house.
According to him, when she couldn’t find Yaw, she mounted a search for him, and in the search, she could only find Yaw’s sandals close to a well.
She then reported the incident to authorities, including the Ghana National Fire Service, the Ambulance Service and the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO).
Meanwhile, the father of Yaw, Amoako Douglas, has indicated, his son attempted suicide because he felt ashamed of being repeated in his class.
“I received a call from my mum saying Yaw had left the house. We could not understand why Yaw left the house. He feared his juniors would come to meet him in the same class,” he said.
Yaw was rushed to the Dunkwa Municipal Hospital and has regained consciousness. Medical doctors report he was unconscious for several hours but now responding to treatment.
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- DDEP: Financial institutions regulators should protect customers, not government – Dan Seddoh
- GNFS expresses reservation over reopening of Kejetia Market
- Lamisi honoured in Netherlands for promoting Ghanaian culture
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- JessiEmma releases ‘Amazing Grace’, a love song to God
- Producer Price Inflation falls to 50.8% in February 2023
- Debt Exchange: Insurers to re-strategise to avert threats to prompt payment of claims
- Shatta Wale gives conditions for return to VGMA
- Heeding Mahama’s advice would have prevented us from going to IMF on a stretcher – Sammy Gyamfi to Akufo-Addo
- “Consider cocoa pricing in your legislation”- COCOBOD Chief tells EU
- Former Black Stars player Emmanuel Oblitey dies at 69
- Mahama to speak on transparent financing of political campaigns today
- Eno Barony raps better than many male rappers in Ghana – Medikal
- Government calls for more donor funding in agric sector
- ECG disconnects Cape Coast Sports Stadium over GH¢513k legacy debt
- Lotto agent in court for over GH¢253k theft
- Corporate institutions urged to implement leadership programmes to equip youth for job market