Audio By Carbonatix
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) has ordered the immediate release of the Queen Mother of Kwahu, Nana Adwoa Gyamfua III, following a controversial dawn police operation that triggered tension in the Kwahu Traditional Area on Monday.
In a statement, the Ghana Police Service said the IGP has also directed the Police Professional Standards Bureau (PPSB) to conduct a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding the operation. Officers found culpable will be sanctioned.
Security has since been heightened across the Kwahu area to maintain calm.
The development came after widespread alarm over claims that the Queen Mother had been forcibly taken from her residence at Abene.
The Paramount Chief of Kwahu, Daasebre Akuamoah Boateng III, earlier told Adom FM that heavily armed police officers stormed the palace around 4:30 a.m. on Monday, November 17, firing shots “indiscriminately” before taking the Queen Mother away.
READ ALSO: Tension mounts in Kwahu as Queen Mother is reportedly abducted
However, the Kwahu Traditional Council has strongly denied reports of an abduction, describing the claims as “entirely false.”
In a statement issued on Monday, the Council said the Queen Mother was not taken away by force and explained that the confusion stemmed from the enforcement of a court order.
According to the Council, police officers were acting on an interlocutory injunction issued by the Eastern Regional House of Chiefs on 24 June 2024.
The injunction was granted in favour of Daasebre Akuamoah Agyapong II and “restrains Baffour Osei Akoto, who has been styling himself as Kwahuhene, together with the Queen Mother and others, from interfering with Daasebre Akuamoah Agyapong II’s occupation and duties at the Abene Palace.”
READ ALSO: Kwahu Traditional Council denies Queen Mother abduction claims
The Council maintained that the operation was lawful, but acknowledged that the lack of clarity around the police presence created tension among residents.
The IGP’s directive to release the Queen Mother and launch an internal investigation is seen as an attempt to de-escalate the situation and address public concerns over the conduct of officers during the early-morning raid.
Meanwhile, the Police Service says additional personnel have been deployed “in and around Kwahu to ensure the safety of all persons” as investigations continue.
Residents have been urged to remain calm while the Police Professional Standards Bureau examines whether proper procedures were followed.
Latest Stories
-
Weak consumption, high unemployment rate pose greater threat to economic recovery – Databank Research
45 minutes -
Godfred Arthur nets late winner as GoldStars stun Heart of Lions
59 minutes -
2025/26 GPL: Chelsea hold profligate Hearts in Accra
1 hour -
Number of jobs advertised decreased by 4% to 2,614 in 2025 – BoG
2 hours -
Passenger arrivals at airport, land borders declined in 2025 – BoG
2 hours -
Total revenue and grant misses target by 6.7% to GH¢187bn in 2025
2 hours -
Africa’s top editors converge in Nairobi to tackle media’s toughest challenges
3 hours -
Specialised courts, afternoon sittings to tackle case delays- Judicial Secretary
3 hours -
Specialised high court division to be staffed with trained Judges from court of appeal — Judicial Secretary
4 hours -
Special courts will deliver faster, fairer justice — Judicial Secretary
4 hours -
A decade of dance and a bold 10K dream as Vivies Academy marks 10 years
5 hours -
GCB’s Linus Kumi: Partnership with Ghana Sports Fund focused on building enduring systems
5 hours -
Sports is preventive healthcare and a wealth engine for Ghana – Dr David Kofi Wuaku
5 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund Deputy Administrator applauds GCB’s practical training for staff
5 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund strengthens institutional framework with GCB Bank strategic partnership
6 hours
