Audio By Carbonatix
The Electoral Commission (EC) Returning Officer for the Ablekuma North constituency, Vincent Obeng, has announced his decision to step down from the ongoing collation of parliamentary results, citing frustrations encountered during the process.
Speaking to the media on Wednesday, January 8, Mr Obeng disclosed that out of seven polling stations, results from four had been successfully collated, leaving three outstanding.
He explained that difficulties arose due to the inability of presiding officers to authenticate the statement of the poll and the declaration forms.
“I hope you have all seen what is going on. Yesterday January 7, we were left with 7 polling stations to go. We came today, and we have been able to do [collate] four out of the seven.
"So, we’re left with three more. We brought our presiding officers here—two came, but they couldn’t authenticate the statement of poll and declaration form. One said she can't come. So that's the three now," he said.
Expressing frustration, Mr Obeng added, “It’s so unfortunate for me to make this statement, but I’m done with Ablekuma North. They [EC] should find a new returning officer to continue their work.”
In response, the EC’s Director of Training, Dr Serebour Quaicoe, expressed regret over Mr. Obeng’s remarks, attributing them to frustration.
He reassured the public that the Commission would address the issue and make efforts to bring Mr. Obeng back to complete the process.
The collation process for Ablekuma North has been fraught with tension. Earlier, a scuffle erupted over the inclusion of a disputed pink sheet, further delaying proceedings.
A Presiding Officer, Nathaniel Klimsman Avumeh, denied authenticating figures from his polling station, complicating the collation.
Tensions escalated when a party official slammed the table of EC officials, triggering chaos among opposing party members.
The situation briefly devolved into physical altercations before police officers intervened to restore order.
Latest Stories
-
GhISP strengthens GVCA-led efforts to expand capital access for local SMEs
17 minutes -
Ghana’s security exposed by Defence Ministry vacancy – Nitiwul
42 minutes -
MOBA commences historic 150th anniversary celebration rooted in faith and national service
49 minutes -
MiDA calls on chiefs to free land for President Mahama’s project
50 minutes -
Timing Trouble: Why Mexico friendly threatens Ghana’s World Cup readiness
56 minutes -
GHS issues new security, patient care directives after Mamprobi baby theft
1 hour -
Gov’t urged to provide psychological support for victims following foreign national scandal
1 hour -
Forty Under 40 Africa Summit declares ‘End of African Apology’ at Accra gathering
2 hours -
Ghana remains 4th in Africa with highest debt to IMF
2 hours -
Minerals Commission revokes over 300 licences in push to reclaim Ghanaian control of mining sector
2 hours -
2026 UG Corporate Games: Ghana Civil Aviation Authority secures big win
2 hours -
No extradition treaty makes justice for Russian suspect difficult – Criminologist
2 hours -
Speaker faults NDC, NPP over absence of female candidates in Ayawaso East by-election
2 hours -
“We are not creating a parallel financial system”-BoG Governor on Virtual Asset regulation
2 hours -
Pan-African Youth Union General Secretary pays courtesy call on NYA CEO Osman Ayariga
2 hours
