The lands and natural resource sector cover: forestry, minerals, and land issues. Since 2017, the government has reiterated its commitment to clamping down the operations of illegal mining and ensuring small-scale mining is operated in an environmentally friendly manner.
A total of 33 promises were captured under the lands, natural resources, and forestry sub-sectors. The NPP government fulfilled 59.09percent of the promises made under this sector.
The government delivered the pledges made on improving reforestation through the procurement of seedlings. Through the Forestry Commission, it increased the seedlings for the national plantation programme from 4.1million seedlings to 13.3million seedlings.
The government also made progress in improving ecotourism through collaboration between the Forestry Commission and the Ministry of Tourism to designated the Shai Hills, Kakum National Park in Central Region, Ankasa Forest Reserve in Western Region, Bomfobiri Wildlife Sanctuary in the Ashanti, and Shai Hills Resource Reserve in the Greater Accra Region, as eco-tourism sites.
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Government increases cocoa price by 21% to ¢800 a bag
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- Residents of Ashalaja sleep in kiosks as their homes remain flooded
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- AngloGold Ashanti pleased with community support to ward off illegal miners from Obuasi concession
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Prosecute Chairman Wontumi, Charles Bissue, others neck-deep in galamsey – NDC to Akufo-Addo
- Cities and Habitats, Ecobank launch ‘Rent to Own Boafo) home ownership package
- A-G advises Interior Ministry to compensate Ejura shooting victims
- GEPA optimistic of achieving 2029 NTES revenue target of $25.3bn
- Two health institutions in UK award £10 million to fight non-communicable diseases in West Africa
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- Cardiovascular diseases on the rise in Ghana; access to healthcare still a challenge – Report
- Power supply was curtailed to Weija, adjourning communities due to flood – ECG
- Nigeria Plans 15% Increase in Borrowing to Fund Record Deficit
- Government running Ghana as “a satellite state of international capital” – Martin Amidu
- Playback: NDC holds presser on illegal mining
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers