The Aflao Sector Command of the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) has foiled attempts by some criminal syndicates to smuggle 141,25-litre gallons filled with petroleum to neighbouring Togo.
Acting on intelligence, a patrol team intercepted the items in separate operations at the Pilla 7 and 7B unapproved routes, on the Ghana-Togo border in the Ketu South Municipality of the Volta Region.
The Aflao Sector Commander of the Immigration Service, Chief Superintendent Frederick Baah Doudu, explained the patrol team discovered an uncompleted structure on the borderline used as a transit point for smuggling activities.
”The patrol team retrieved 129 25 liter gallons of fuel packed in the structure on Saturday, 23th June 2020, at about 2130 hrs”, he said.
He added that the officers subsequently discovered another spot where twelve 25 liter gallons of petroleum were being kept, waiting to be smuggled into neighboring Togo.
He further indicated that the team was unable to effect any arrest as the suspects bolted into neighboring Togo upon spotting the officers.
“The command has, however, launched a manhunt to arrest the suspects”, Mr. Duodo said.
The items which are being kept at the GIS Aflao Command would be handed over to the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority for the appropriate actions.
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- Resign and concentrate on your health; Ahanta West needs development – NDC tells Kojo Kum
- Rise in pay hasn’t done any significant difference in our lives – NAGRAT
- Gasonu’s family asks police to unravel cause of his death
- Government must engage labour on IMF deal – Austin Gamey
- Permit service personnel to teach you fire preventive measures – ADO2 Nartey
- We have burden-shared enough, government needs to show commitment – GRNMA
- Arrest made in killing of New Jersey council woman Eunice Dwumfour
- Government should brace itself for a possible showdown should it attempt salary reduction – GRNMA
- Fire burns Madina-Ritz junction again
- UCC’s Prof David Teye Doku named best Social Sciences and Humanities Scientist in Ghana
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Prudential Life Insurance targets informal sector with ‘Mekakrawa’ insurance policy
- STEM education: Afia Kobi SHS students build model aircraft to aid maritime surveillance
- Cigar smoked by Sir Winston Churchill nearly 80 years ago up for auction
- Bofoakwa Tano seal Ghana Premier League return after beating Eleven Wonders on penalties