The time has come. No more waiting. LaLiga is back with Osasuna and Sevilla getting the season underway on Friday while the rest of the teams will play their first games over the weekend.
Real Madrid, who are the 2022 UEFA Super Cup champions after defeating Eintracht Frankfurt (2-0) in Helsinki, will look to defend their title after winning their 35th league championship last season, while archrivals Barcelona will attempt to wrest the trophy from the capital with a new squad that seems to have brought back hope to their fans.
Barcelona’s summer spree—and whether it has the financial flexibility to pull it off remains the focus.
Since the exit of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, two players who shared the Spanish spotlight, La Liga has failed to produce the game’s top two goalscorers, one at each of its marquee clubs. Robert Lewandowski’s move to Barcelona from Munich, coupled with Karim Benzema’s sustained prime at Real Madrid as he hits his mid-30s will lend a new layer to El Clásico, create a furious battle for the Pichichi and bring back eyeballs to a league whose stature has slipped some in the struggle for European and global dominance.
DStv and GOtv is the only true home of football in Africa, offering a range and depth of action that no other rival can match – it’s literally ‘Unbeatable Football’! If you’re going to spend your money on something, it may as well be on the best football in the world.
SuperSport is the only place where you can get English commentary on the legendary La Liga, where the headline fixture sees Real Madrid begin the defense of their title with a trip to Estadio de Los Juegos Mediterraneos (also known as the Power Horse Stadium) to face newly-promoted Almeria on Sunday night.
Los Blancos manager Carlo Ancelotti has already identified Barcelona as likely title rivals this season and has urged his team not to rest on their laurels after a brilliant 2021-22 season in which they captured both La Liga and UEFA Champions League crowns.
“In football, I’m not surprised at all,” said the Italian tactician. “Barca is building a fantastic team, but I’m interested in my team. You always have to respect Barca.”
Barcelona’s continuing evolution under manager Xavi Hernandez, which has seen them bring in Andreas Christensen, Raphinha, Franck Kessie, Robert Lewandowski, and Jules Kounde, will have its first competitive test when they face Rayo Vallecano at home on Saturday night.
“I want to have two starting players for every position,” said Xavi. “That is a good problem to have. Last year, we had a small squad. We’re happy to have a more complete squad now.”
Another team to watch this season is Sevilla, who couldn’t quite challenge for the title last season but remain a resourceful and ambitious club. Los Nervionenses will open the new La Liga season with a clash away to Osasuna on Friday night.
“We have to draw conclusions from our pre-season, we have had some tough games, but we were able to learn lessons that will be important for the start of the season,” said manager Julen Lopetegui.
The opening round also features Villarreal away to Real Valladolid, Valencia at home to Girona, Athletic Bilbao welcoming Mallorca to the Basque region, and Atletico Madrid with a derby clash away to Getafe at Coliseum Alfonso Perez on Monday evening.
Don’t miss the New Football Season on SuperSport on DStv and GOtv. Dial *759 to reconnect, subscribe or upgrade and join in on the excitement. And while you’re on the move, you can stream matches on the DStv App. Call or WhatsApp us on 0242426050 for all Enquiries.
La Liga broadcast details, 12-15 August 2022
All times CAT
Friday 12 August
21:00: Osasuna v Sevilla – LIVE on SuperSport La Liga, SuperSport Maximo 1, SuperSport Maximo 3 and SuperSport GOtv La Liga
Saturday 13 August
17:00: Celta Vigo v Espanyol – LIVE on SuperSport La Liga, SuperSport Maximo 3 and SuperSport GOtv La Liga
19:00: Real Valladolid v Villarreal – LIVE on SuperSport La Liga, SuperSport Maximo 3 and SuperSport GOtv La Liga
21:00: Barcelona v Rayo Vallecano – LIVE on SuperSport La Liga, SuperSport Maximo 1, SuperSport Maximo 3 and SuperSport GOtv La Liga
Sunday 14 August
17:30: Cadiz v Real Sociedad – LIVE on SuperSport La Liga, SuperSport Maximo 3 and SuperSport GOtv La Liga
19:30: Valencia v Girona – LIVE on SuperSport La Liga, SuperSport Maximo 3, and SuperSport GOtv La Liga
22:00: Almeria v Real Madrid – LIVE on SuperSport La Liga, SuperSport Maximo 3, SuperSport GOtv Football, and SuperSport GOtv La Liga
Monday 15 August
17:30: Athletic Bilbao v Mallorca – LIVE on SuperSport La Liga, SuperSport Maximo 3, and SuperSport GOtv La Liga
19:30: Getafe v Atletico Madrid – LIVE on SuperSport La Liga, SuperSport Maximo 3, and SuperSport GOtv La Liga
21:30: Real Betis v Elche – LIVE on SuperSport La Liga, SuperSport Maximo 3, SuperSport GOtv Football and SuperSport GOtv La Liga
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Black Sherif’s ‘Soja’ debuts on Billboard’s US Afrobeats Chart
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers
- ‘Galamsey’ got worse under Mahama – NPP tells NDC
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- Kuami Eugene grabs 2022 BMI London award
- Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit calls for Thomas Partey backup in January
- Bawumia has been a disaster as head of economic management team – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
- People like our union – Shatta Wale on why he requested to collaborate with Michy
- Qatar 2022: Ghana vs Uruguay not a ‘revenge’ game – Andre Ayew
- Malta Guinness WPL: Ridge City take on Essiam Socrates; Pearlpia face Prisons Ladies on Day 1
- I think Black Sherif is Bob Marley reincarnate – Sonnie Badu
- Prudential Bank leads conversation on Pan-African Payment and Settlement System
- Midweek performance wrap of Ghanaian players in Europe
- Exhibit customer-centric services in your daily operations – British Council to organisations
- Government consciously shielding main culprit in Bulgarian Embassy demolition – Ablakwa
- ‘I’m fed up’ – aspiring NDC chairman backs calls to oust incumbent Ofosu Ampofo, Asiedu Nketia
- One dead in Tetegu floods