A 24-year-old woman who contracted Marburg Virus disease in Ghana has been reunited with her family after recovering fully.
It leaves the country with no case, thus paving the way for a declaration that the outbreak is over in 42 days if no new infections are recorded.
She becomes the country’s only survivor of the three persons who contracted the virus in June.
According to the Ghana Health Service, she has since come out negative in two tests carried out by the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research. The tests were conducted 48 hours apart on the 3rd and 6th of August 2022.
Her 26-year-old husband and one-year-old son who were the other victims did not survive.
In a statement, the Ghana Health Service says the recovery leaves the country with no case of the virus and will now proceed to declare the outbreak over on the 15th of September, per WHO guidelines, if no new infections are detected within that period.
It also says 118 out of the nearly 200 contacts in four districts have been discharged after completing their 21 days of mandatory follow-up.
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: I am here for Ghanaians, not NPP or NDC – Stonebwoy
- GPL 2023/24: Hearts of Oak beat 10-man Nsoatreman; Aduana beat Medeama
- Ghanaian youngster Raymond Anokye Asante scores in back-to-back games after injury return
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw
- Playback: The Law discusses how to avoid contempt of court
- D-Black’s TV show, Uncut, hits the screens in November
- Leaked tape scandal: Supt. George Asare invites 3 witnesses to testify against IGP
- Radio Ada journalist on trial over publication of fake news about McDan is dead
- Kwame Dadzie: Our celebrities should stage ‘demo’ on creative arts matters too