Audio By Carbonatix
Novak Djokovic's hopes of a standalone record 25th Grand Slam title have been boosted after his fourth-round opponent, Jakub Mensik, withdrew from the Australian Open with an abdominal injury.
Djokovic was scheduled to face the 20-year-old Czech during Monday's evening session in Melbourne but he will now progress straight through to the quarter-finals.
He will face either fifth seed Lorenzo Musetti of Italy or American ninth seed Taylor Fritz in the last eight.
The news follows the withdrawal of two-time champion Naomi Osaka on Saturday, while others, such as 2025 winner Jannik Sinner, have struggled in the heat, which is forecast to reach 42 °C on Tuesday.
Should the remainder of the draw go with seedings, 38-year-old Serb Djokovic could then come up against Sinner in the semi-finals and world number one Carlos Alcaraz in the final.
His most recent Grand Slam success came at the 2023 US Open, and he is currently level with Margaret Court on 24 major titles.
Djokovic, who is yet to drop a set at this year's Australian Open, went out in the semi-finals of all four Grand Slams in 2025.
Speaking after his third-round win over Botic van de Zandschulp on Saturday, he said: "[I feel] really good. It's been a great start to the tournament.
"Obviously, things can change. I'm not getting ahead of myself because last year I learned a lesson.
"I got too excited too early in some of the Grand Slams, playing really well and getting to the quarters and semis, and then getting injured in pretty much three out of four last year."

Mensik beat Djokovic in the final of last year's Masters event in Miami, a result which catapulted him into the world's top 25, and he warmed up for the Australian Open by winning another tour title in Auckland.
Seeded 16th in Melbourne, he was poised to appear in the fourth round of a major for the first time in his career.
He posted on Instagram: "This is a tough one to write. After doing everything we could to keep going, I have to withdraw from the Australian Open due to an abdominal muscle injury that has progressed over the last few matches.
"After long discussions with my team and doctors, we decided not to step on court tomorrow [Monday].
"Even though I'm disappointed, making the fourth round here for the first time is something I will carry with me for a long time. I felt so much energy from the fans and the atmosphere in Melbourne is truly special.
"Thank you to my team for being with me every step and to everyone sending messages and cheering - it means more than you know. Now it's time to recover properly."
Mensik had beaten Spanish duo Pablo Carreno Busta and Rafael Jodar, plus American Ethan Quinn, to reach the last 16.
Latest Stories
-
Benatia leaves Marseille amid ‘growing dissatisfaction’
38 minutes -
Captain Van Dijk wants ‘so important’ Salah to stay
47 minutes -
SMS must deliver in 5 seconds – NCA issues new mobile service targets
57 minutes -
NCA orders telcos to extend network coverage beyond district capitals
1 hour -
African Union summit clouded by Saudi-UAE rivalry in Horn of Africa
2 hours -
No more excuses – NCA rolls out stricter mobile service standards
2 hours -
Call drops must fall below 1% – NCA raises bar for telcos
2 hours -
China to implement zero tariffs on imports from 53 African countries
4 hours -
Tunisian police detain opposition figure Olfa Hamdi at airport
5 hours -
US deports 9 to Cameroon despite court protections, NYT says
5 hours -
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
5 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
5 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
5 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
5 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
6 hours
