Audio By Carbonatix
The long-standing power supply issues in Kumasi, the capital of the Ashanti region, have sparked a mix of hope and scepticism among residents after Energy Minister John Jinapor assured them that the situation would soon be resolved.
For weeks, Kumasi has experienced frequent power outages, disrupting daily life and causing frustration among residents.
While some are hopeful about the minister's promise, others are doubtful that real change is on the horizon.
During his recent visit to the region, Mr Jinapor dismissed calls for a load-shedding timetable, explaining that the country is generating enough power to meet both domestic and external demands, making load shedding unnecessary.
“I am happy to announce that, so far, the supply situation has been stable, and we are able to export some power. However, there is still more work to be done. Beyond generating power, we need to evacuate, transmit, and distribute it effectively. We are working around the clock to address these challenges and ensure a reliable, steady power supply for everyone,” Mr Jinapor said.
While the minister’s comments provided some reassurance, many residents remain concerned about the frequent disruptions.
Some residents shared their frustration. “The power outages are really disruptive. We thank the minister for coming, but we hope he will follow through with his promises. The ECG, or whoever is responsible, needs to give us prior notice of outages so businesses can plan ahead. These outages are causing many problems, we need better communication from our leaders so we can plan accordingly.”
In response to these concerns, Mr Jinapor emphasised the need for continued improvements in infrastructure, particularly in the country’s power transmission and distribution networks.
He assured residents that efforts were underway to address these challenges and improve the overall stability of the power supply.
Meanwhile, discussions between Mr Jinapor, Finance Minister Dr Cassiel Ato Forson, and WAPCo officials are ongoing to resolve related issues concerning debt owed to the West African Gas Pipeline Company (WAPCo).
The General Manager in charge of Corporate Affairs at WAPCo Dr Isaac Doku, said, “We are confident that the Ministry of Finance will address the matter, and we are on standby. Once the payment is confirmed, we will go back to our shareholders and provide proof that the situation has been resolved,” said Dr Doku.
"For now, we continue to wait, hoping the government’s assurances will bring an end to the power woes they have long endured,"Mr Doku concluded.
Latest Stories
-
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
42 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
3 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
3 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
3 hours -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
3 hours -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
3 hours -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
3 hours -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
4 hours -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
4 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
4 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
4 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
4 hours