Operatives of the National Security have arrested the leader of an Islamic group in Karaga of the Northern Region for having links to a jihadist group in Burkina Faso.
Shiekh Siedu Dukere, a prominent Fulani cleric, was apprehended together with 12 of his followers on Saturday, October 1.
Confirming the news to JoyNews, the General Secretary of a Fulani Welfare Group said the reason for the arrest has not been officially ascertained.
According to Yakubu Musa Bari the security operatives are silent on the matter.
This is the second time the Imam and his followers have been arrested by the National security.
He was first arrested in 2019 along with 20 of his followers. Again, he was linked to a jihadist group after the Burkinabe army killed five jihadist militant who had all listed him as their emergency contact in Ghana.
The Burkinabe agency subsequently alerted the Ghanaian government which led to his arrest.
He was transferred to Accra, however, after being in custody for just three weeks the Sheikh and followers were released without being charged.
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- You are on your own – John Kumah tells bondholders who reject debt exchange programme
- GMA rejects debt exchange programme
- Moody’s downgrades GCB Bank due to debt restructuring
- Black Sherif is the voice of African youth – Akon
- World Cup: Rating every member of Ghana’s squad
- Akufo-Addo commissions Afienya Road Over Bridge on Tema-Mpakadan Railway line
- Financial Stability Council pledges to closely monitor impacts of Debt Exchange Programme; to set up ¢15bn fund
- Mahama appeals for ¢10 to support NDC congress
- 796 flee Burkina Faso to Sissala West communities for fear of attack
- We only approved policy principle of 2023 Budget; not the taxes – Minority
- 81 aspirants vie for 14 national executive positions in NDC
- NPA to seek cabinet support to remove taxes on LPG
- Claims that female babies develop speech faster than males is a myth – Language Therapist
- Consensus key to sustainability of the debt exchange programme – ISSER to government
- I’ve been given over ¢100k ‘haircut’ on my investment – Franklin Cudjoe
- Mozambique ex-president’s son, others jailed for 12 years for corruption
- GWCL to cut water supply to parts of Accra
- Philip Afeti Korto: Grey hair, a sign of wisdom or ageing?
- Busy Signal to perform at Stonebwoy’s Bhim Concert in Ghana
- Government plan to cut interest costs gets pushback from local funds
- Vodafone scoops 5 honours at National Communications Awards