Navy divers from the 12th Minesweeper Squadron of the 8th Coastal Defense Flotilla take part in a five-day operation to defuse the largest unexploded World War Two Tallboy bomb ever found in Poland in Swinoujscie, Poland, October 12, 2020. Agencja Gazeta/Cezary Aszkielowicz via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. POLAND OUT. NO COMMERCIAL OR EDITORIAL SALES IN POLAND.

Navy divers on Monday began a five-day operation to defuse the largest unexploded World War II bomb ever found in Poland, forcing more than 750 people to evacuate their homes.

Dubbed the “earthquake” bomb, the Tallboy bomb was used by Britain’s Royal Air Force (RAF) and weighs nearly 5,400 kg, including 2,400 kg of explosive, the Navy said on its Facebook account.

The bomb was found in the Piast Canal which connects the Baltic Sea with the Oder River, and was dropped by the RAF in 1945 in an attack on the German cruiser Lutzow.The site is near the town of Swinoujscie in northwest Poland where a liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal was opened in 2016.

“There will be no deliveries while the bomb is being neutralized,” a spokeswoman at site operator Gaz-System said, adding the timing of the defusing of the bomb had been agreed between the firm, the Navy and local authorities.

Navy begins defusing biggest World War II bomb ever found in Poland
A bouy marks the site of a Second World War ‘Tallboy’ bomb in the Piast Canal (Kanal Piastowski), near Swinoujscie, northwestern Poland, on October 9, 2020, where Polish divers are expected to defuse the bomb on October 12, 2020. – Polish military divers are due to begin a delicate operation on October 12, 2020 to defuse one of World War II’s most powerful types of bombs at the bottom of a navigation channel to the Baltic Sea. The five-tonne device — nicknamed “Tallboy” and also known as an “earthquake bomb” — was dropped by the Royal Air Force in a raid on a German cruiser in what was then Nazi Germany. (Photo by Lukasz Szelemej / AFP) (Photo by LUKASZ SZELEMEJ/AFP via Getty Images)

“We dug up the moving part of the bomb, the middle part the bomb was left, as planned, so that the debris around it would keep the bomb in a fixed place, so that it would not move and the fuses would not be triggered,”

Michal Jodloski from the 12th Minesweeper Squadron of the 8th Coastal Defense Flotilla told private broadcaster TVN 24.On Monday, 751 people had to be evacuated from the area, local media reported.

“We are leaving for this week. We are afraid. The children should go to school and they would have to go past it every day, so there is a bit of fear,” a local resident named Radoslaw told TVN24.



NULL Invalid API key or channelobject(stdClass)#8252 (1) { ["error"]=> object(stdClass)#8261 (3) { ["code"]=> int(403) ["message"]=> string(117) "The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota." ["errors"]=> array(1) { [0]=> object(stdClass)#8310 (3) { ["message"]=> string(117) "The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota." ["domain"]=> string(13) "youtube.quota" ["reason"]=> string(13) "quotaExceeded" } } } }