Audio By Carbonatix
The Deputy National Youth Organiser of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) says the National Communications Authority (NCA) and the Communications Minister have no authority to block unregistered SIM cards.
Eric Edem Agbana said this in an interview with Roselyn Felli on Prime Morning Tuesday, in the wake of NCA's issuance of punitive measures to block all unregistered SIM cards effective September 30.
According to him, the registration for the Ghana card and SIM cards requires time and technical equipment; hence, the sector minister cannot issue punitive measures against users.
In addition, Edem Agbana indicated that it is unlawful for the government to block the SIM cards of Ghanaians.
"Ursula Owusu and the NCA do not have any power or mandate to issue or give out these punitive measures like blocking SIM cards.
"What they did in the last couple of days, where some people had their SIM cards blocked for 48 hours, some for 28 hours, and for 72 hours, is completely lawless, and we must take them on," he said.
The Deputy NDC National Youth Organiser also cautioned that "they should be careful because we work with laws in this country."
Earlier this year, the Bank of Ghana issued a directive that the Ghana Card shall be the only identification document to undertake transactions at all licensed financial institutions.
Mr Agbana revealed that some local banks do not enforce the use of Ghana cards.
According to him, bank transactions without the Ghana Card are optional.
He, however, applauded government for the SIM card re-registration but urged them to be lenient in the process.
"If after September 30, they still continue to block SIM cards, myself and other young Ghanaians and those who will be affected by the blockage will go to court and sue because we have the right to use our SIM cards," he said.
Mr Agbana also called on affected people to speak out concerning the blockage of their SIM cards, saying it is unconstitutional for the government to issue such measures.
Meanwhile, he indicated his resolve to take legal action against NCA and the Communications Minister if SIM cards are blocked after the September 30, deadline.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
7 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
12 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
18 minutes -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
33 minutes -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
41 minutes -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
50 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
54 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
1 hour -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
1 hour -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
1 hour -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
1 hour -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
1 hour -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
2 hours -
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
2 hours -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
2 hours