Audio By Carbonatix
President Bola Tinubu nominated Nigeria's former top general to replace the defence minister, who resigned amid a surge in mass kidnappings and Islamist attacks in the north that have led the president to declare a security emergency.
Christopher Musa, 58, served as Nigeria's Chief of Defence Staff from 2023 until October this year. He will succeed Mohammed Badaru Abubakar, a former regional governor who stepped down as defence minister on Monday, citing health reasons.
Tinubu conveyed the nomination in a letter to parliament, the president's office said.
"President Tinubu expressed confidence in General Musa's ability to lead the Ministry of Defence and further strengthen Nigeria’s security architecture," his spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, said in a statement.
The appointment comes days after Tinubu declared a security emergency in response to worsening violence.
More than 200 schoolchildren kidnapped by gunmen from a Catholic school on November 24 remain missing. They are among at least 402 people abducted since mid-November, according to the United Nations.
Tinubu has ordered the recruitment of 50,000 police officers, more army enlistment, and the redeployment to frontline duties of police assigned to protect VIPs. Forest guards have also been deployed to help flush out armed gangs.
Cheta Nwanze, partner at consultancy SBM Intelligence, said insecurity in the wider Sahel region was spilling into Nigeria.
"The implication is not just a change in personnel, but a glaring reminder of the need for a fundamentally new, community-trusted approach to security that addresses both internal governance and regional threats," said Nwanze.
Nigeria is under scrutiny from U.S. President Donald Trump, who last month threatened military action over the treatment of Christians in the country. Nigeria says claims that Christians face persecution misrepresent a complex security situation and do not take into account efforts to safeguard religious freedom.
Washington is considering actions including sanctions and engagement on counterterrorism, a senior U.S. State Department official said on November 20.
Latest Stories
-
Agri-Impact Group Founder Daniel Acquaye appointed Chairman of CSIR–Crops Research Institute board
31 minutes -
Gold Fields Ghana gifts Mehuntem Community with 40,000-litre water system
38 minutes -
King Charles’ brother, Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office as King says ‘law must take its course’
42 minutes -
CDD calls for independent anti-corruption commission in the one-year review of Mahama administration
47 minutes -
Ecobank rewards over 4,000 customers in ‘5-Star Enjoyment’ Promo grand finale in Kumasi
55 minutes -
Police arrest alleged drug kingpin in Bono Region narcotics operation
1 hour -
CDD flags bail and pre-trial detention controversies in assessment of Mahama’s one-year administration
1 hour -
Drivers’ union tours Kinbu-Tudu Street; commends Accra Mayor for traffic relief efforts
1 hour -
CDD flags violence, governance gaps and legal loopholes in assessment of one-year of Mahama administration
2 hours -
CDD warns of ‘backdoor’ criminal libel; slow pace on key accountability reforms
2 hours -
The Myth of Benevolence: Deconstructing the benefits of colonialism in Ghana
2 hours -
NAM 1 tells court BoG guided Menzgold operations
2 hours -
CDD raises red flag over GH₵20,000 gift threshold in ministers’ code
2 hours -
Deputy CEO of EPA rides to work, sparks debate on safety and clean transport
2 hours -
NSA and UNFPA unveil work readiness programme to train 150,000 graduates annually
2 hours
