Audio By Carbonatix
Nokia has settled its patent dispute with Apple and signed a business collaboration deal with the U.S. giant, the Finnish firm said on Tuesday, sending its shares sharply higher.
Nokia said on Tuesday it would receive an upfront cash payment and additional revenues from Apple starting from the current quarter. It did not give details of the amounts.
Nokia shares, which fell in December due to the patent dispute, jumped 7.4 percent to 5.93 euros by 0717 GMT.
Analysts said they had expected the legal dispute to drag on and were surprised by the relatively quick resolution.
"(The agreement) moves our relationship with Apple from being adversaries in court to business partners," Nokia's Chief Legal Officer Maria Varsellona said in a statement.
A previous patent license contract between the companies expired last year and both sides took legal action in December. Nokia accused Apple of violating technology patents and Apple complained of being overcharged.
In December, Nokia cut its annual run-rate forecast for patent and brand licensing sales to about 800 million euros ($900 million) from 950 million euros, in the absence of a new Apple deal. In its last quarterly report, Nokia stopped giving an annual run-rate forecast.
"For Nokia, it's good news they got this out of the way, but we still have to wait for details about the financial impact," said OP Equities analyst Hannu Rauhala.
"The previous annual rate was 150 million euros, so I assume this to be more, around 500 million euros."
Under the new business agreement, Nokia said it would provide network infrastructure products and services to Apple while Apple would resume carrying Nokia's digital health products in its retail and online stores. The firms will also look into further collaboration in digital health, Nokia said.
Latest Stories
-
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
8 minutes -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
12 minutes -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
21 minutes -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
36 minutes -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
1 hour -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
1 hour -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
2 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
2 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
2 hours -
Ghana hosts high-level ECOWAS meeting to boost women and youth political participation
3 hours -
Canada looks to trade talks after US Supreme Court tosses Trump’s tariffs
3 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso sign 7 cooperation agreements to deepen bilateral ties
3 hours -
Duraplast supports Accra sanitation drive with donation of 20 waste bins
3 hours -
UK should send non-combat troops to Ukraine now, former PM Johnson tells BBC
3 hours -
Vice President reaffirms Ghana’s commitment to women and youth leadership at West Africa Governance Talks
3 hours
