Audio By Carbonatix
Oil prices jumped on Thursday as Tehran declared the critical energy chokepoint, the Strait of Hormuz, closed after the U.S. launched additional strikes against Iran and as President Donald Trump vowed even more attacks if no peace deal is secured.
Brent futures rose $1.48, or 1.59%, to $94.58 a barrel as of 0243 GMT, while U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude climbed $1.71, or 1.90%, to $91.74. U.S. crude futures gained more than $3 earlier in the session.
Iran's top joint military command announced the closure of the Strait of Hormuz on Thursday, including oil tankers and commercial ships, saying any vessel attempting passage will be shot at.
"It once again suggests a deal is still some way off and that energy flows from the Persian Gulf will remain heavily constrained," said ING analysts in a note to clients.
The renewed escalation in fighting prompted oil prices to rally in early-morning trading, they said.
On Wednesday, the U.S. military said on X that commercial ships continue to transit through the strait.
It also said no U.S. warships have been struck in the strait, after Iran's state media reported U.S. ships near the waterway were targeted by missiles and drones.
U.S. forces began launching additional strikes against multiple targets in Iran at 5:15 p.m. EDT (21:15 GMT), the latest in an escalating exchange of attacks that threaten to reignite a full-scale war, which was paused in early April when the two sides agreed to a fragile ceasefire.
Trump told Fox News reporter Trey Yingst on Wednesday evening that the strikes would stop shortly but that he would "bomb the shit out of them" if Iran's leaders did not sign an agreement with the U.S. immediately.
Iran's months-long blockade of the strait, which normally carries a fifth of global oil and gas shipments, has kept oil prices elevated.
Meanwhile, U.S. crude inventories fell by 7.2 million barrels to 426.5 million barrels in the week ended June 5, the EIA said on Wednesday, compared with analysts' expectations in a Reuters poll for a 4 million-barrel draw.
U.S. crude inventories, including those from strategic reserves, have fallen by 79 million barrels since the Iran war began on February 28, as the top global producer moved to plug supply gaps after the strait was effectively shut.
Underscoring the squeeze, OPEC output in May slid to its lowest level in over two decades, a Reuters survey showed, as a U.S. naval blockade curbed Iran's exports and Tehran's effective closure of the strategic waterway slashed shipments from other Gulf producers.
Latest Stories
-
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
25 minutes -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
36 minutes -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
1 hour -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
1 hour -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
1 hour -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
2 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
2 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
2 hours -
Africa’s next chapter will be built by institution-builders, not idea-havers
2 hours -
Wenchi Traditional Council suspends Twafohene indefinitely
2 hours -
Kpassa-Merimeri road undergoes filling and levelling works to improve accessibility
2 hours -
9 Blue Water Guards arrested over alleged bribery, impersonation
3 hours -
Wildlife guard shot dead during Kakum patrol
3 hours -
‘I reject them without qualification’ — Afenyo-Markin hits back over Sammy Gyamfi’s claims
4 hours -
GoldBod must appear before a parliamentary inquiry to answer for gold-trade losses — Appiagyei
4 hours