Audio By Carbonatix
For almost 50 years, Sir Paul McCartney has shouldered the blame for breaking up the Beatles. The supposed evidence was a press release for his 1970 solo album, McCartney, where he revealed he was on a “break” from rock’s biggest band.
Interviewing himself, Sir Paul said he could not “foresee a time when Lennon-McCartney becomes an active songwriting partnership again”. But in a new BBC interview, he has said the split was prompted by John Lennon.
“I didn’t instigate the split. That was our Johnny,” he told the interviewer John Wilson. “I am not the person who instigated the split.
“Oh no, no, no. John walked into a room one day and said I am leaving the Beatles. And he said, ’It’s quite thrilling, it’s rather like a divorce.’ And then we were left to pick up the pieces.”
Pretence from pretenders
Wilson asked whether the band would have continued if Lennon hadn’t walked away.
“It could have,” Sir Paul replied.
“The point of it really was that John was making a new life with Yoko and he wanted … to lie in bed for a week in Amsterdam for peace. You couldn’t argue with that.
“It was the most difficult period of my life.
“This was my band, this was my job, this was my life,” he added. “I wanted it to continue. I thought we were doing some pretty good stuff – Abbey Road, ‘Let It Be’, not bad – and I thought we could continue.”
Sir Paul said confusion over the Beatles’ break-up festered because the band’s new manager, Allen Klein – with whom he refused to align – said he needed time to tie up loose ends with their business.
“So, for a few months we had to pretend,” he told Wilson. “It was weird because we all knew it was the end of the Beatles but we couldn’t just walk away.”
Sir Paul ended up suing the rest of the band in the high court, seeking the dissolution of their contractual relationship in order to keep their music out of Klein’s hands.
“I had to fight and the only way I could fight was in suing the other Beatles, because they were going with Klein,” he told Wilson.
“And they thanked me for it years later. But I didn’t instigate the split.”
He has previously said that archival projects such as The Beatles Anthology and Peter Jackson’s forthcoming documentary, Get Back, would never have been possible without his legal action.
Sir Paul’s full interview can be heard on the new BBC Radio 4 series This Cultural Life, with the episode to be broadcast on 23 October.
The following Monday, recordings of the musician reading from his new book, Lyrics, will also be available on BBC Sounds.
Latest Stories
-
Over 2,000 churches in Greater Accra operating without registration – Ahmed Ibrahim
7 minutes -
Bagbin calls for credible third political force to strengthen Ghana’s democracy
30 minutes -
Trade Ministry condemns terrorist attack on Ghanaian tomato traders in Burkina Faso
39 minutes -
Businesses can recover input tax under new VAT system — GRA
40 minutes -
Funeral of Togbega Kwaku Ayim IV enters second week
45 minutes -
White House says Iran would be ‘wise’ to make deal, as US ramps up military presence
52 minutes -
New VAT regime aimed at simplifying tax system, not raising costs— GRA official
56 minutes -
Gas explosion kills 13 in Pakistan’s Karachi, collapsing building
1 hour -
Ghanaian optometrist, Randolph Kwaw, wins Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research award
1 hour -
FDA shuts down 16 Accra eateries including The Cheesecake House and Alora Beach Resort
1 hour -
An Open letter to the Vice president of the republic of Ghana
1 hour -
South Korea’s ex-President Yoon given life in prison for insurrection
1 hour -
Take advantage of growing opportunities in agriculture – Deputy Agric Minister tells youth
2 hours -
NACOC steps up K9 Operations at Kotoka International Airport to curb drug trafficking
2 hours -
Ken Ofori-Atta bond hearing comes up today as US Judge demands extradition proof
2 hours
