On Friday, August 5, 2022 an inter-hall fight ensued between the residents of the Commonwealth and John Mensah Sarbah halls of the University of Ghana which resulted in injuries and damage to properties.
The University’s Management condemned the act. Later, the Hall Master and Senior Tutor of Commonwealth Hall were suspended for their inaction which caused the clash between residents.
In the same month, rampaging students on the campus of the KNUST also vandalized cars and other property in a clash between students of University Hall ‘Katanga’ and Unity Hall ‘Continental’.
A number of cars parked in front of Conti hall were damaged by the feuding students. The development has resulted in the suspension of Hall Week and SRC Week celebrations on campus indefinitely.
According to the Council, any student who participates in the organisation of what is termed as ‘morale’ and/or ‘procession’ shall be summarily dismissed.
This brought us to the conversation on Tonight’s Edition of PM Express on the topic “Has the hall system outlived its usefulness?”
The guests for the discussion were; Pro Vice-Chancellor, Academic and Student Affairs of the University of Ghana, Prof Gordon Awandare, Deputy Ranking Member on the Education Committee, Dr Clement Apaak, University of Relations Officer at KNUST, Dr Norris Bekoe and General Secretary of the National Union of Ghana Students, Joshua Opey.
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group
- US halts Blinken China visit after spy balloon row