Former Black Stars head coach, Otto Addo, says the team could have done better at the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar if the technical team had enough time with them.
The 48-year-old was the head of the technical team which was appointed following the dismissal of Milovan Rajevac after Ghana’s poor outing at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations.
Addo, Chris Hughton, George Boateng and Mas-Ud Didi Dramani were all hired in February prior to the World Cup playoff game against Nigeria in March.
Despite the short period between their appointment and the game, the technical team managed to secure Ghana a ticket to Qatar courtesy of a Thomas Partey away goal against the Super Eagles.
But the Black Stars failed to progress from Group H at the World after suffering defeats to Portugal and Uruguay while also beating South Korea and Addo says limited time with the team played a role in their early exit.
“The windows we had were June, September and World Cup so there was not much time,” he told the media at a briefing on Saturday, December 3.
“Surely this is normal. If we will have had more time together, we could have developed even better. I saw a lot of processes and I know it is difficult for a lot of people to understand.”
Addo announced his resignation from his role as head coach with immediate effect following the defeat to Uruguay which saw Ghana exit the World Cup on Friday.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- DDEP: We’ll continue to converge there until we’re exempted – Dr. Anane Antwi
- 40 Ejuraman students injured in dining structure collapse
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- Full text: Finance Minister’s speech on DDEP deadline eve
- Turkey earthquake: “Huge and miraculous” – Christian Atsu’s local manager reacts to his rescue
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- Disregard allegations that Haruna Iddrisu sold out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- Gospel artiste OJ Blaq wants to be featured on secular concerts
- We need reduction in appointees, not reshuffle – Dr Amoako Baah tells Akufo-Addo
- Economist advises individual bondholders not to invest in DDEP
- My dad, Culture, never died on stage in Germany – Kenyatta Hill
- 3 persons remanded over alleged kidnapping
- 28 of 47 students of Ejuraman Anglican SHS discharged from Hospital
- I’m your biggest fan – DJ Khaled tells Tems
- Akufo-Addo nominates Abetifi MP for Agric Ministry
- Bole: Family of murdered herdsman demand justice, appeals to CJ
- Death in a military operation is not unexpected – Security Analyst on Bawku killings
- Tems speaks on Grammy win, working with Future, Drake, others
- Bank manager arrested for ‘hoarding’ new Nigerian notes
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Kenyan school shaves off female students’ long hair