Audio By Carbonatix
Former Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, has urged the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO) and other security agencies to uphold the constitutional rights of Bernard Antwi Boasiako, popularly known as Chairman Wontumi, who was arrested and detained on Tuesday, May 27.
In a Facebook post on Wednesday, Dr Bawumia expressed grave concern about the NPP Ashanti Regional Chairman’s continued detention, especially in the absence of clear charges and confirmed information regarding his whereabouts.
“In a democratic environment as ours, no individual is above the law,” Dr Bawumia wrote.
“Equally, no Ghanaian—regardless of political affiliation or status—should ever be denied their constitutional rights. Justice and due process are not optional; they are the foundation of our democracy.”
His comments come amid growing public interest in the circumstances surrounding Chairman Wontumi’s arrest and the legal processes being followed.
Dr Bawumia revealed that he had been in direct contact with Mr Wontumi’s legal team to ensure that all legal avenues are being pursued and that his rights are being safeguarded.
“I commend them for their professionalism and vigilance,” he noted, indicating that he was actively monitoring the case and expects institutions to handle the matter lawfully and transparently.
The former Vice President further cautioned that failure by state institutions to act within the confines of the law could erode public trust in Ghana’s justice system.
“Ghana must always remain a nation governed by law—not by arbitrary power. Our Republic is strongest when our institutions are both firm and fair,” he asserted, reinforcing his call for EOCO and all related bodies to operate within constitutional limits.
Latest Stories
-
NCA orders telcos to extend network coverage beyond district capitals
1 hour -
African Union summit clouded by Saudi-UAE rivalry in Horn of Africa
2 hours -
No more excuses – NCA rolls out stricter mobile service standards
2 hours -
Call drops must fall below 1% – NCA raises bar for telcos
2 hours -
China to implement zero tariffs on imports from 53 African countries
4 hours -
Tunisian police detain opposition figure Olfa Hamdi at airport
4 hours -
US deports 9 to Cameroon despite court protections, NYT says
5 hours -
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
5 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
5 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
5 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
5 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
5 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
6 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
6 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
6 hours
