Audio By Carbonatix
The office of former Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia has moved to address public concern after media reports emerged suggesting that Dr Bawumia and his wife, Hajia Samira Bawumia, had been evacuated from Qatar.
A statement issued on Wednesday by Akbar Khomeini, Special Aide to Dr Bawumia, confirmed that the couple are safe and have since left Doha for Saudi Arabia.
"Dr Bawumia and his wife, Hajia Samira, are both fine and safe. The couple left Doha, Qatar, this morning for Saudi Arabia to perform Umrah, an essential Islamic practice," the statement read.
The statement did not directly address the circumstances of their departure from Qatar or clarify whether any evacuation took place.
It focused instead on confirming the couple's well-being and their onward travel plans.
According to Khomeini, the Bawumias are expected to commence their Umrah — a sacred Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca that can be performed at any time of the year, unlike the annual Hajj — on Thursday, March 5, 2026.
They are scheduled to depart Saudi Arabia on Saturday, March 7, 2026.

Latest Stories
-
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
29 minutes -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
30 minutes -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
38 minutes -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
39 minutes -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
50 minutes -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
52 minutes -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
1 hour -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
1 hour -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
1 hour -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
1 hour -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
1 hour -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
1 hour -
Ghana Card is a critical national asset – Interior Minister
2 hours