Audio By Carbonatix
Afghanistan's first female film director Saba Sahar has been shot, officials say.
The 44-year-old was taken to hospital but the extent of her injuries was not immediately clear.
Her husband, Emal Zaki, told the BBC she was travelling to work on Tuesday in the capital, Kabul, when a gunman opened fire on her car.
Her two bodyguards were also hit and injured, he said.
Ms Sahar is among Afghanistan's most famous actors, as well as a director and campaigner for women's rights.
The shooting happened in the west of Kabul, Mr Zaki said. There were five people in the car, he said - Ms Sahar, two body guards, a child and the driver. The child and driver were not harmed.
Mr Zaki said he heard gunshots about five minutes after his wife left the house. He said when he called her she told him she had been shot and hit in the stomach.
"I reached the scene and found them all wounded," he said. "She received first aid and we transferred her to the emergency hospital and then to the police hospital."
He said she underwent a successful operation.
Ms Sahar trained as a police officer and still works for the interior ministry. Her films and television programmes have explored justice and corruption.
Responding to news of the shooting on Tuesday, Amnesty International said there had been an "extremely worrying" rise in attacks on film actors, political activists and human rights defenders in Afghanistan.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
21 minutes -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
27 minutes -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
1 hour -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
2 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
5 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
5 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
5 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
6 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
6 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
6 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours