Six people have been killed in a blast at a seaside restaurant in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu, an ambulance service official said.
The Pescatore Seafood Restaurant, which opened recently in the south of the city, was frequented by security and government officials.
Video uploaded to social media shows smoke billowing from the scene of the attack.
Militant Islamist group al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the blast.
The group’s military operations spokesperson told the Reuters news agency they were targeting “security officers and politicians of the apostate government”.
Al-Shabab, which is allied to al-Qaeda, frequently carries out attacks in Mogadishu as part of its war against the government.
Abdikadir Abdirahman, director of Aamin Ambulance Service, said that they had “carried six dead civilians and seven others injured”.
A number of high profile people – including the Somali police commissioner – are reported to have been at the venue at the time, but there is no indication they were among the injured.
Police officer Mohamed Ali told the AFP news agency that the police commissioner was safe along with “several legislators who stayed there”.
This attack comes amid a surge in violence in recent weeks as politicians have struggled through a much-delayed process to select a new parliament. Lawmakers were finally sworn in last week, paving the way for them to choose a new leader.
On 24 March, a female member of the Somali federal parliament was among more than 30 people who were killed in two suicide bombings in Beledweyne town, in central Somalia.
And on 18 April, seven people were injured in a mortar attack on Somalia’s parliament.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- IMF bailout to depend on government’s ability to achieve 55% of debt to GDP – Fitch
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- Shatta Wale gives conditions for return to VGMA
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- AG Dame dialogues with UK Deputy PM over criminal justice reform
- Immigration fuels Canada’s largest population growth of over 1 million
- Walking barefoot improves menstrual flow, eyesight, sleep, hypertension, pain, and inflammation
- Jay Bahd is bigger than the ‘Best New Artist’ category – DJ Slim
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Gisele Bundchen says Tom Brady divorce was ‘death of my dream’
- Akufo-Addo’s appointments of NPP activists to EC require amendment of Article 43 – Mahama
- ICC concerned by Russia’s ‘threats’ over Putin warrant
- Why is everyone wearing these cartoonish red boots?
- Ken Ofori-Atta leads delegation to start debt restructuring talks with China
- BBC advises staff to delete TikTok from work phones
- Volta ECG reconnects Ho Airport, GRA, others after payments
- Explicitly state your opposition to scrapping of ex-gratia – Mahama tells NPP
- I still believe Ghana can be managed with 60 ministers – Mahama
- South Africa to consult Russia over Putin’s arrest warrant