Audio By Carbonatix
South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters.
The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games.
And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes.
"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."
France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay which finished goalless.
He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.
"We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."
Jordaan conceded that while the noise was irritating for some people, they were doing all they could to minimise the impact.
"We've tried to get some order," he continued. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can.
"We've had some broadcasters and individuals (complaining) and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."
Jordaan admitted that he is not a huge fan of them himself. "I would prefer singing," he said.
"It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing.
"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of a ‘cover-up’ over its handling of Epstein documents
4 minutes -
Project C.U.R.E begins 10-day assessment to support Ghana Medical Trust Fund’s NCD fight
12 minutes -
Government assures public of stable ‘fugu’ prices amid Wednesday-wearing policy
15 minutes -
Ghana on track for full-scale tomato production by year-end – Deputy Agric Minister
19 minutes -
Danny Addo to host Undignified 1.0 event and album launch
20 minutes -
Obaapanin Mary Adwoa Ohenewa Awuah
21 minutes -
Afia Adepa Kwarteng thanks God with ‘Oguama Mogya’ mini album after surviving life-threatening surgery
24 minutes -
Mahama consoles families after terrorist attack kills 7 Ghanaian traders in Burkina Faso
27 minutes -
John Jinapor rallies support for Gonjaland Youth Association’s Golden Jubilee Congress in Buipe
29 minutes -
‘We must use this crisis to pivot’ – Mahama urges local processing as cocoa sector reels
32 minutes -
State initiates compensation talks in Latif Iddrisu Police brutality case after eight years
44 minutes -
Gov’t engaging Burkinabe authorities to protect Ghanaian tomato traders – Dumelo
46 minutes -
Techiman market leaders demand irrigation investment after killing of 7 traders in Burkina Faso attack
1 hour -
Tano North residents commend MCE over infrastructure drive
1 hour -
‘I’m a cocoa farmer too’ — Mahama speaks on price cuts and farmer pain amid crises
1 hour
