A man suspected to have murdered his girlfriend’s ten-year-old stepson by setting fire to a house in Meduma at the Ashanti Region has pleaded guilty in court.
Kwaku Agyemang, 35, however, pleaded with the court for bail so that he could be treated for the burns he suffered in the process.
But his plea was dismissed.
Mr Agyemang is said to have soaked a blanket in petrol, lit it, and sprayed the petrol all over the four-bedroom apartment after a squabble with his fiancée on Tuesday, March 3.
The fire killed a ten-year-old boy, Prince Oti. The twin sister of the deceased, Princess Oti Aniwaa Agyemang and her mother, Patience Kyeremanteng, also sustained various degrees of injury.
Proceedings in Court
In court, the prosecution raised three charges against the suspect, including the murder of Prince Oti, arson, and causing injury to the three surviving victims.
The police, however, pleaded with the court to grant three weeks to investigate the matter before the suspect’s plea is taken, which was granted.
The accused interjected and pleaded guilty in court as the case was being adjourned.
Kwaku Agyemang also requested bail so that he could get treatment for his wounds, which have left him unable to walk. Both of his legs are bandaged due to burns sustained in the flames.
After the incident, he was admitted to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, where he spent nearly two weeks under police security.
Two men carried him to court due to the inconvenience of using the seat issued in the docket, he had to sit on the ground in court.
The police were asked by Magistrate Thomas Boadi Soyori to present his pleadings in front of an impartial party before the next court date on April 21.
Plea of surviving victims
The surviving victims of the alleged arson attack at Meduma are reeling under huge medical bills.
Patience Kwarteng and one of her children have been discharged. The third child is however under close monitoring by medical professionals due to severe burns.
The mother’s regular visits to the hospital are compounding bills borne by the grandmother of the children.
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- State institutions must raise red flags at the right time – Alhassan Andani
- GRASAG launches Graduate Research Trust Fund to support scientific and policy-oriented research for national development
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Ghana, Korea $8 million rice project kicks off in Assin North
- ‘Little drops of the Word’ launched to help facilitate Christian children upbringing
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We are engaging ECG to fix anomaly with electricity purchase – PURC
- Chinese employer allegedly slashes throat of Ghanaian employee
- SIM re-registration: “Eat your humble pie” – Sam George tells Ursula Owusu
- NIA called, begged 9 Ghanaians to come for their Ghana Cards after filing complaint in court – Sam George
- Livestream: PM Express discusses the survival of banks in economic crisis
- Mfantsipim Old Boys Association holds annual engagement series
- betPawa Premier League: Seydou Zerbo getting frustrated with Kotoko strikers
- Playback: Personality Profile hosts Zahara