Audio By Carbonatix
Pop star The Weeknd will perform the coveted half-time show at next year's Super Bowl, the NFL has confirmed.
The singer follows in the footsteps of Shakira and Jennifer Lopez, whose performance in Florida this February was watched by 104 million people.
"We all grow up watching the world's biggest acts playing the Super Bowl and one can only dream of being in that position," said the Canadian star.
"I'm humbled, honoured and ecstatic to be the centre of that infamous stage."
The Weeknd to perform Super Bowl 2021 half-time show https://t.co/YZCgbJpyyv
— TechFinGuy (@TechFinGuy1) November 12, 2020
The Weeknd, whose real name is Abel Tesfaye, has become one of the biggest chart stars of the last decade, with more than 45 platinum and singles and albums.
His recent album After Hours topped the charts on both sides of the Atlantic, while the lead single Blinding Lights became the longest-running top five single on the US Hot 100.
The 30-year-old has previously won three Grammy Awards, including best urban contemporary album for 2016's Beauty Behind The Madness and 2018's Starboy.
He is widely expected to add to that tally at next year's ceremony, with nominations for album of the year and song of the year on the cards when the Grammys announce their latest shortlists on 24 November.
The Super Bowl half-time show is one of the most prestigious gigs in music, with previous headliners including Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, Lady Gaga and Beyonce.
Next year's event will take place at the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa Bay, Florida on Sunday, 7 February.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Merck Foundation honours Lordina Mahama as Ambassador for decade of humanitarian impact
6 minutes -
Heath Goldfields’ return brings relief to families in Bogoso-Prestea after two years of hardship
17 minutes -
MTN Ghana rolls out SME Business Clinic in Koforidua to drive digital transformation
30 minutes -
Stakeholders demand demolition of encroaching structures around Wa Airport over rising wildlife threats
34 minutes -
“For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord” – Nduom celebrates court victory
35 minutes -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP join forces to advance Tema Industrial Park project
37 minutes -
MTN Ghana calls for reforms to tackle risks facing local businesses
40 minutes -
Minority accuses Foreign Affairs Minister of sidestepping Parliament over foreign agreements
47 minutes -
Trade Minister leads high-level mission to China to woo investors
51 minutes -
Quo Warranto: High Court adjourns OSP’s Stay of Execution application
52 minutes -
Nene James Tetteh Asigbey III
54 minutes -
Sportswear brand On introduces OAC Sprint, its first professional sprint team
55 minutes -
Salaga: Family counts losses after domestic fire outbreak
58 minutes -
Ghana declares ‘Open for Business’ at inaugural Russia-Ghana dialogue in Kazan
1 hour -
CBG launches agency banking drive ‘Sika Agent’, targets 8,000 agents by 2028
2 hours